How do you use cloud databases? Take the survey.
Options

Monitoring Stopped on Servers After Latest Windows Patches Applied

We are on SQL Monitor 12.0.13. Last Sunday our IT department patched all our DEV and QA SQL Servers with the latest Windows Server patches (Mix of Windows Server 2012, 2016 and 2019) and monitoring on these servers now fails.

Here is an excerpt from the log on one of the server instances. Any thoughts:

18 Jan 2022 11:53 AMWMIGetInstances: root\cimv2 select Name,State,StartMode,StartName from Win32_ServiceCannot connectCOMExceptionThe object invoked has disconnected from its clients. (0x80010108 (RPC_E_DISCONNECTED))
18 Jan 2022 11:51 AMWMIReadRegistryCannot connectCOMExceptionThe object invoked has disconnected from its clients. (0x80010108 (RPC_E_DISCONNECTED))

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    I am seeing the same issue on one of our clusters with the 12.0.13 release as well, the monitored cluster is Windows Server Windows 2012 R2  (I know...) with SQL 2016, SP2 CU17.
  • Options
    The patches I see applied to the cluster I am seeing this error on are Update for KB2504637, Update for MS Visual Studio 2015 (KB3095681) and (KB4336999)
  • Options
    Hi All,

We're currently looking into this issue (where SQL Monitor isn't reconnecting after the monitored entities are restarted after updates), but in the interim, if you restart the SQL Monitor services this should get the monitoring of the entity going again.

I'll update further once I have more information from the investigation with the developers.

Kind regards,
    Alex
    Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?
  • Options
    TUellnerTUellner Posts: 56 Bronze 5
    The cumulative update we had to roll back was Microsoft KB#5009557
  • Options
    Alex BAlex B Posts: 1,133 Diamond 4
    Hi @TUellner,

Just to confirm, you've rolled back that particular KB and then the servers reconnected?  Had you tried restarting SQL Monitor before that to see if they reconnected then, or had you already rolled back the KB you've mentioned?

Kind regards,
    Alex

• Options
    I restarted my SQL Base monitor service per your recommendation and that resolved the issue as well, with no KB rollbacks.  Thanks!
  • Options
    I had the same experience as Mark. Restarted the SQL Monitor services and the other servers came back into a monitored state.
  • Options
    Alex BAlex B Posts: 1,133 Diamond 4
    Righto, that's good to hear! 

I believe the team will have a fix for the issue in the release tomorrow 12.0.14, so I'll post that here when it's available as well.

• Options
    Alex,

I installed the release and I was able to restart one of the updated SQL Servers with the MS update and SQL Monitor went right back to monitoring the server as soon as it restarted. Thanks to the development team for getting this fixed so quickly!

-Tom