Options

Time out from one but not the other server!

I have 3 servers:
Development Server (DS)
Production SQL Server (PSS)
Production App Server (PAS)

Problem:
When I call SQL Data Comparer from PSS it fails with a "Timed out trying to connect" but when calling from my DS it works.

Details:
I have installed SQL Data Comparer on my DS and PAS servers. 
On my PAS Server I have created a Project (saved from SQL Data Comparer).
So when I open a CMD prompt on my DS and use this command: "\\PAS\c$\Program Files (x86)\Red Gate\SQL Data Compare 14\SQLDataCompare.exe" /Project:"\\PAS\e$\Apps\DC\myproject.sdc" it works.
When I log on to my PSS - using the exact same user as on my DS, and I execute the exact same command as above, it fails:
About to try parsing parameters (/Project:\\VMSQLWN01\e$\Apps\DataComparer\CC1SQLA02.ValmetricsSalesInfoTest v valmetricsdev.database.windows.net.SalesInfo.sdc)
SQL Data Compare Command Line V14.4.4.16824
======================================================================================================================
Copyright © Red Gate Software Ltd 2020

Error: Unhandled exception
Timed out trying to connect.
System.ServiceModel.CommunicationObjectFaultedException
   at RedGate.Ipc.Rpc.DelegatingCallHandler.HandleCall(Object sender, MethodInfo methodInfo, Object[] args)
   at RedGate.Client.ActivationPluginShim.LicensingClient.GetLicence()
   at RedGate.SQLToolsCommandLine.CommandlineLicenceManager..ctor(ProductInformation productInformation, IUsageSession usageSession)
   at RedGate.SQLDataCompare.CommandLine.SqlDataCompareStartup.DoLicensingAndReportLicenseInfo(Parameters parameters, String[] args, IUsageSession usageSession)
   at RedGate.SQLDataCompare.CommandLine.Startup.Start(String[] args)
   at RedGate.SQLDataCompare.CommandLine.SqlDataCompareStartup.Main(String[] args)

Any hints on what I need to do?
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Options
    Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Hi ofrede, thank you for your forum post.

From the details of the exception, I suspect the Redgate Licensing Client on PSS server has encounter an error.

On PSS, can you please ensure that the Redgate Client service is in a started condition?  Or even stop and restart the Redgate Client and try your comparison once more?
    If the comparison still reports the same error, can you please locate the Redgate Client log files from this folder:
    C:\ProgramData\Red Gate\Shared Client\Log

A support ticket has been created for your forum post, please send an email to support@red-gate.com with a copy of the log file attached? Hopefully the Redgate Client log files will provide information on the cause of the error.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com

Answers

• Options
    ofredeofrede Posts: 11 Bronze 1
    Hi Eddie,
    You are absolutely right!

I was of the impression that if I had the application installed on my PAS then it wasn't necessary to have it installed on my PSS.

Thank you very much for the answer and the explanation. Case closed!