When is Redgate going to add the ability to branch through SQL Source Control?

I saw an article around Oracle source control and the ability to branch, so when is Redgate going to add branching ability through MS SQL source control?  I realize there are several other GIT features that could go along with that but SQL Source Control already has Pull and Push, so adding branching would eliminate the need to jump back and forth between Redgate and other products.  it would simplify our CICD pipeline.

Best Answers

• David AtkinsonDavid Atkinson Posts: 1,431 Rose Gold 2
    edited August 25, 2020 8:47AM Answer ✓
    @scott1060 - That's a good question. The Oracle functionality in the Oracle product will be part of the migrations experience implemented in a tool called Redgate Change Control, which is equivalent to SQL Change Automation for SQL Server, which _does_ have branch switching.

We are building the state-based development experience as a standalone client (like SQL Source Control, but a port that lives outside of SSMS) that will share the features of Redgate Change Control. Once this is implemented, we will have branch switching for the state-based development experience, albeit *outside* of SSMS. Is this of interest to you? The ETA is the Q1 2021, although plans do change. 

David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • David AtkinsonDavid Atkinson Posts: 1,431 Rose Gold 2
    @scott1060 - I'll try to remember to update this forum as and when there's something to try. Eventually we will communicate this to all SQL Source Control users directly so we can get some beta feedback.

David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software

Answers

• scott1060scott1060 Posts: 12 Bronze 1
    David,

Thanks for the quick reply,  As long as all the features of Redgate Change Control reside within the same tool, I think it would be a greatly welcomed addition.  I know my team and myself would have great interest in the product.  Thanks for the information and we look forward to the release.

Thanks!
    Scott