How do you use cloud databases? Take the survey.

"No data for the specified time range" while monitoring a server from another domain

Hi
I added a server to redgate sql monitor which is in another domain, I checked status and take reports of server performance ,
And today i see "No data for the specified time range" for most metrics , for example i can see analysis graph for sql filesize metric, but no data for disk usage. ☹
User has sufficient privileges in remote and sqlmonitor server. Wmi and com/dcom permissions are set for username.

Any idea? 
Tagged:

Answers

• NillAbbasiNillAbbasi Posts: 9 New member
    Sorry, i meant another "zone".
  • Alex BAlex B Posts: 1,131 Diamond 4
    Hi @NillAbbasi,

It sounds like the performance counters may have become corrupt.  Can you check on the Configuration > Monitored servers screen to see if there is an error next to that entity and, if so, it will likely be a WMI error and indicate a query it is trying to run.  Please try this query in place of step 6 on this page under Testing WMI https://documentation.red-gate.com/sm/advanced-operations/testing-data-collection-methods  This should give you a similar error.

If there is no error, then it may be that the counter is no longer appearing - in which case you can check by going to the machine in question and opening perfmon to see if the counter exists - you can check the equivalent counter by selecting it on the Analysis page and looking at the built in help below the right side of the graph - it indicates the equivalent perfmon counter there.

In either case, it's likely that you will need to rebuild the counters, which you can do using the following from an elevated command prompt (ensure capital R in /R):

cd c:\Windows\System32 lodctr /R cd c:\Windows\SysWOW64 lodctr /R WINMGMT.EXE /RESYNCPERF

If the wbemtest works and/or the counters exist on the target let me know and I may need to reach out via a ticket and get further information.

Kind regards,
    Alex

Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?
    edited June 24, 2020 12:44PM
    Hi Alex
    Configuration > monitored servers : no error
    WMI querying : ok
    Performance counters : processor : ok
    Also rebuilding counters : done

Still "No data..." :cry:
    edited June 27, 2020 10:56AM
    I found some events on eventviewer with these contents:

*The "sepmasterservice" has stopped.

* performance data for ".netframework" service is not available.

* configuration information of w3svc does not match trusted performance library informance stored in the registry.

*configuration information of termservice does not match trusted performance library informance stored in the registry.

And finally:

*disabled performance counter data collection from "asp.net_2.0...." service, because performance counter library for that service has generated one or more errors.

And about 2 hours later, we had a "reset" for monitored server.

Then monitoring started immediately and analysis graphs are available since the last event occured.

Problem resolved 🙂

• Alex BAlex B Posts: 1,131 Diamond 4
    Ah ha!  That makes sense :-) 

We see it when there is corruption as well sometimes (or other system settings that disable performance counters) where it doesn't raise an error during the sampling (as you saw via the wbemtest it didn't either) but just doesn't work, which isn't helpful but unfortunately not a lot we can do about it if an error isn't raised from the process.

Thanks for sharing, I'll definitely keep it in mind for the future!
    Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?