Options

Plans to add a New-DatabaseMigration cmdlet?

It would be helpful to have a powershell cmdlet that could be used to generate new simple migrations rather than clicking thru a UI.  Any plans?  

I see a related uservoice: https://redgate.uservoice.com/forums/267000-sql-change-automation/suggestions/14435526-allow-the-sync-cmdlet-or-similar-to-generate-an

and I commented on it.
Tagged:

Answers

• Options
    What IDE are you using to make your database changes? We sort of assume that this is where most people would want to trigger the action to create a migration script. Are we wrong?
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • Options
    PeterDanielsCRBPeterDanielsCRB Posts: 126 Bronze 3
    I used to use the VS plugin.  Now, mostly the SSMS plugin.  I imagine most work will still occur in the UI.  However, I would also find value in being able to automate.  For example, i could write a powershell script that adds a column, updates a sproc to use that column, gens the migration, and commits the code, triggering a CI/CD process.  Just a nice-to-have.
  • Options
    Oh - and sometimes, I will use a round-trip data modeling tool (e.g. dbschema) for the schema mods.
  • Options
    What would this cmdlet look like (eg a sample invocation with switches etc)
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • Options
    Good question.  Maybe something like:

$sourceDB = New-DatabaseConnection [...]
    New-DatabaseMigration -InputObject <PathToSqlProjectFile> -Source $sourceDB

Source DB could also be the default dev DB from the sql proj file.  It would behave similar to the process that happens in SSMS when we "generate migration(s)".