How do you use cloud databases? Take the survey.

SQL Monitor Upgrade from v7 to v10

AntGAntG Posts: 2 New member
First time in a while performing an upgrade on a very old version of SQL Monitor.

Following the upgrade doc (https://documentation.red-gate.com/sm/getting-started/upgrading) of trying to upgrade v7.1.5 to v10.0.8 and a few things that seem to not flow correctly.

On the ports screen it wont allow the use of the same ports 8080/7399, had to change to 8081/7400.  There's no mention of this in the upgrade doc.  Why cant the same ports be used?  What can I do to use those ports again to save changing all the firewall rules into the base monitor server?

Second it details the data repository settings will be auto populated, this wasn't the case in the upgrade.  I had to specify the server and database again.

Sure more will come out of the upgrade as we go, just stuck awaiting for a password change in AD to move on from the repository screen.

Documenting this for a plan to upgrade prod at a later stage.

Cheers All

Best Answer

• Alex BAlex B Posts: 1,131 Diamond 4
    edited April 22, 2020 3:58PM Answer ✓
    Hi @AntG,

For the first issue of the ports being in use - this is down to SQL Monitor currently storing the values in the registry for the user who installed it as to what ports are in use.  So if a different user runs an update, they will see this happen.

What you need to do is stop the existing SQL Monitor Base Monitor and SQL Monitor Web Service services it should allow you to use the same ports.

I think the second issue is also related to this as well, but this can be confirmed if you run the next update as well and ensure it populates the values for you (it always has for me on my system).

Other things to note are the .NET version needed has changed, some versions of Windows and SQL Server have been removed for both being able to install SQL Monitor on and to be monitored by SQL Monitor, so check the requirements page for that https://documentation.red-gate.com/sm/getting-started/requirements/supported-platforms

Also, there were some data migrations in the data repo in early v9 I believe which caused the installs to take some extra time, so bear that in mind when doing the installation, especially if your data repository is large.

And lastly, just to reiterate the note at the top of the upgrade page, it's a good idea to take a backup of the repository just in case, to make it easier to get things up and going again should any issues arise.

Please do let me know if you run into any other issues or have any further questions!

Kind regards,
    Alex
    Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?

Answers

• Alex BAlex B Posts: 1,131 Diamond 4
    Yes, the details not being populated is also related as it's also stored in the same area of the registry.
    Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?
  • AntGAntG Posts: 2 New member
    Thanks Alex, that certainly was the issue.

Created a new service account for the installs going forward to not fall into this for the time being.

Stopped the Base&Web services, upgraded to 10.0.8 ports validated fine as 8080/7399.

Then noticed 10.0.11 was available so upgraded as the same user and while the services where running the ports validated and the database connection details where populated.

Thanks for the assistance.