Configure column properties

FlodpanterFlodpanter Posts: 2 New member
I only need the column name and a description in my report. Is this configurable?
Tagged:

Answers

• Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    edited April 20, 2020 11:13AM
    Hi Flodpanter, thank you for your forum post.

The document you generate using SQL Doc is customizable before generating the report.

You select the SQL Instance and database within that instance you wish to document.  Expand the branching down the left hand side to Select 'Tables.  By default all tables are selected.' 

On the right hand side under Objects, all the tables names are listed.  Scroll down this view to the 'Sections ti include' section.

By default, all sections are included.  To remove a section, uncheck the checkbox to the right.  In the example screen shot below, I have deselected sections except for: MS_Description, Columns, Computed Columns, Extended Properties and SQL SQL Script:

Further reading can be found in the SQL Doc help documentation.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • FlodpanterFlodpanter Posts: 2 New member
    Thanks for the response. I should have been a bit clearer in my post. I want to customize the content of the "Colums" section so it only shown the columns "Name" and "Description" in the report. I do not want to show "Key", "Data type", ""Max length (bytes)", "Nullability", and "Identity". I could not find this stated in the documentation so I assume that it is not supported. Can you confirm that it is not supported?
  • Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Hi, thank you for your reply.

Sadly no, it appears to be either Include the columns along with "Key", "Data type", ""Max length (bytes)", "Nullability", and "Identity" or not include the columns at all.

The only workaround I can suggest is to generate the documentation in Microsoft Word and then edit the document in word.  A pain with just a handful of tables to edit, probably unworkable if you large number of objects to edit.

I do recommend that you submit feedback via the help menu -> Send feedback....  As your feedback / suggestion may appear in a future version of the product.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com