Cannot Change Server Options SQL Backup Pro 10.0.14.1166

ClearViewClearView Posts: 12 Bronze 1
edited August 27, 2019 9:07PM in SQL Backup
I cannot make changes to Server Options and I don't receive any error messages.  For example, the current "Log file folder:" value is "SQLBackup@DEV-SQL-04".  I am trying to change this to a local file path "C:\ProgramData\Red Gate\SQL Backup\Data\SQL2017".  I click "Apply" which appears to work, then click "OK" to close the dialog.  When I reopen the Server Options dialog the value has been reset to "SQLBackup@DEV-SQL-04".
Similarly, I change the EMail "Send From" from "SQLBackup@DEV-SQL-04" to SQLBackup.SQL2017@Dev-SQL-04.  I click Send Test Email and receive a test email from the changed address.  I close the dialog and reopen it to find the value is reset to the original.
Note: everything works fine for the default instance on this server (it's SQL 2008R2).  I just installed SQL2017 as a named instance and then added it to my Backup Pro estate.
I have not found a log and don't receive error messages.
I have set permissions in Registry, on the file folders, etc.
As part of the debug process I upgraded Server and GUI from 9.x to 10.x and tried to make the changes from the GUI on two other, remote machines.
BTW, when I try to run a backup on the SQL2017 instance I receive the following error message.
  • " Executed as user: <MyDomain>\Svc-DalSQLAgentQA. SQL Backup failed with exit code: 669  SQL error code: 0 [SQLSTATE 42000] (Error 50000).  The step failed."
I do not receive any error messages on the default instance using the same service accounts.

Answers

• Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Hi, thank you for your forum post.

SQL Backup Exit 669 indicates a failure to access a SQL Backup Windows Registry Key.

To resolve the problem, either grant the SQL Backup Agent service startup account rights to read from and write to the registry node, or change the SQL Backup Agent service startup account to another user account that has the necessary rights. You'll need to restart the service if you choose the second option.

So on the machine running the SQL Instance and where the server side components are installed, ensure that the start-up account for the SQL Backup Agent service has Read, Write and Modify permissions to the following registry folders:

• HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Red Gate\SQL Backup\BackupSettings\<SQL Instance Name>
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Red Gate\SQL Backup\BackupSettingsGlobal\<SQL Instance Name>
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Red Gate\SQL Backup\InstalledInstances\<SQL Instance Name>
    By providing the permissions to the above registry folders, for the  start-up account for the SQL Backup Agent service any server option changes you make will be saved.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • ClearViewClearView Posts: 12 Bronze 1
    edited August 30, 2019 6:16PM
    Thanks for the response Eddie.  I am still trouble shooting this issue but I think the problem is more involved.
    This server has a default SQL2008R2 Developer instance which has had SQL Backup Pro installed and running for a couple of years.  I recently (2 weeks) installed an instance of SQL2017 Developer and moved the dev databases to that instance (Detach/Attach) in SQL2008 compatibility.  I used the same service account when I set up SQL Backup Pro on the new instance.  I can still edit Backup Pro Server Options for the default instance but I cannot edit the options on the new instance.  Notably, some of the server option settings I made during installation did take effect and some did not.
    I have found this error in the System Event Log.  It occurs each time I try to update the Server Options on the SQL2017 Instance.
    Component: Software Version Agent
     Error: Could not read from the registry sub-key.
     Cause: This error can be caused by a corrupt registry or a low memory condition.  Rebooting the server may correct this error.
    I am still checking the registry permissions and will update the thread when I complete that.
    I am considering "uninstalling" and reinstalling the server components on the SQL2017 instance.  Do you think that would help or hurt?

<Update 2019-08-30 13:00 CDT>
    I explicitly added the domain service account to the three registry keys for the named instance with Full Control.  I restarted the service and refreshed the connection in the GUI.  I still cannot modify "Server Options" through the GUI.
    BTW, The default instance Still works fine, even though the Service Account is not explicitly granted permissions on the registry keys.
  • Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Hi, thank you for your reply.

I do not think reinstalling the SQL Backup server side components to the SQL2017 Developer instance will help but there is no harm in attempting to uninstall and reinstall.

Any changes to the 'Server options' in the GUI are recorded in the registry in the folders I highlighted in my reply.

I am puzzled as to why the original SQL2008R2 instance is encountering no problems and the error is with the new SQL2017 instance where you are using the same user account for the SQL Backup Agent service for both instances.

I understand you experience the 669 error when attempting a backup, I assume this is from using the Backup Wizard in the GUI.  If you run the following from a new query window in SSMS on the SQL2017 instance is the backup successful? Please note, change the file paths and database name as required:

USE master
    GO
    EXECUTE master..sqlbackup '-SQL "BACKUP DATABASE [model] TO DISK = ' 'D:\MyBackups\model\test.sqb' ' WITH CHECKSUM, DISKRETRYINTERVAL = 30, DISKRETRYCOUNT= 10, COMPRESSION = 2, VERIFY" '
    GO

Is the backup successful? Or you experience the reported error?

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • Hi Eddie,
    I finally gave up in frustration and just added the service account to the server local administrator's group and the various SQL Backup functions work fine now.  I can update the Server Options using the GUI

I previously verified correct permissions (Full Access) for the Registry Keys, the backup folders, Red Gate Data Folder and Red Gate Log Folder.

Also, I was using essentially the same backup command you recommended.  I generated SQL Agent backup jobs using the Red Gate GUI.  The backups were throwing errors until I added the service account to local administrators.
  • kopal13kopal13 Posts: 2 New member
    ClearView said:
    I cannot make changes to Server Options and I don't receive any error messages.  For example, the current "Log file folder:" value is "SQLBackup@DEV-SQL-04".  I am trying to change this to a local file path "C:\ProgramData\Red Gate\SQL Backup\Data\SQL2017".  I click "Apply" which appears to work, then click "OK" to close the dialog.  When I reopen the Server Options dialog the value has been reset to "SQLBackup@DEV-SQL-04".
    Similarly, I change the EMail "Send From" from "SQLBackup@DEV-SQL-04" to SQLBackup.SQL2017@Dev-SQL-04.  I click Send Test Email and receive a test email from the changed address.  I close the dialog and reopen it to find the value is reset to the original.
    Note: everything works fine for the default instance on this server (it's SQL 2008R2).  I just installed SQL2017 as a named instance and then added it to my Backup Pro estate.
    As part of the debug process I upgraded Server and GUI from 9.x to 10.x and tried to make the changes from the GUI on two other, remote machines.
    BTW, when I try to run a backup on the SQL2017 instance I receive the following error message.
    • " Executed as user: <MyDomain>\Svc-DalSQLAgentQA. SQL Backup failed with exit code: 669  SQL error code: 0 [SQLSTATE 42000] (Error 50000).  The step failed."
    I do not receive any error messages on the default instance using the same service accounts.

Can you please elaborate further on the issue you're encountering with SQL Server options and the error message when performing backups on the SQL2017 instance? This will enable me to comprehend the problem better and provide a more precise solution. thanks

• kopal13kopal13 Posts: 2 New member
    ClearView said:

Can you please elaborate further on the issue you're encountering with SQL Server options and the error message when performing backups on the SQL2017 instance? This will enable me to comprehend the problem better and provide a more precise solution. thanks