BUG: Comma-separated TNS names are not parsed correctly in Schema Compare 5.4

For some scenarios it's useful to have multiple aliases for the same TNS declaration, so you get something like this in TNSNames.ora:

SOMEALIAS,
SOMEOTHERALIAS = (DESCRIPTION = (....))

In Schema Compare, the two names are combined and stripped of whitespace and comma's, so the entry in the Network Alias dropdown shows SOMEALIASSOMEOTHERALIAS.
When this name is selected, I get ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve the connect identifier specified, which makes sense, since the combined name is not valid.

I think this multiple aliases are formally allowed TNSNames syntax, and no other tools I use have this problem. SC should, instead of combining the names, list them as two separate items.

Using Schema Compare 5.4, recently updated.
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Answer ✓
    Hi,
    This problem is now been resolved in Schema Compare for Oracle V5.7.3 released earlier this month.  Please upgrade to V5.7.3 or later to fix the reported problem

Please use this link to download V5.7.4, the latest version at the time of updating this forum post.

Many thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com

Answers

edited August 19, 2019 4:38PM
    Hi, thank you for your forum post.

I have little experience of configuring multiple aliases in a tnsnames.ora file.  Also the documentation I have looked up is not that clear.

Just to confirm, so I can attempt a reproduction, the entry in the tnsnames.ora will look something like the following:

My12c2Server, My_12c2_server =
      (DESCRIPTION =
        (ADDRESS_LIST =
          (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = MyOracle12c2.machinename.com)(PORT = 1521))
        )
        (CONNECT_DATA =
          (SERVER = DEDICATED)
          (SERVICE_NAME = MyServiceName)
        )
      )

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Redgate Software Ltd
  • GolezTrol2GolezTrol2 Posts: 8 New member
    Indeed, exactly. In my case there is a line break after the comma, but the effect is the same.
    Sorry for the delay.

I have replicated this problem and submitted a new Bug  Report, whose internal reference is OC-1186.

Sadly, I do not have an ETA as to when you may see a bug fix version become available.  I will update when I have further information to pass on.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Redgate Software Ltd
  • GolezTrol2GolezTrol2 Posts: 8 New member
    Works like a charm!  =)