How do you use cloud databases? Take the survey.

How can I see alerts for a given database?

On the alerts tab, I can drill down to a server, then an instance, and then a database. However, it seems that most of my alerts do not appear when I click on a particular database. For example, I may have many long running queries that ran against a given database, but these alerts only display when I select the instance and not when I select the database. Is there a good way to see all of the alerts for that database? We are running SQL Monitor 9.
Tagged:

Answers

• Alex BAlex B Posts: 1,131 Diamond 4
    Hi @slimshaky,

The problem you're describing is because long-running query alerts are instance level alerts rather than database level alerts.  For normal SQL instance / database the Long-Running Query and anything else that is an instance level (or higher) alert doesn't show up at the database level.

You can see what alerts will be able to be shown at each level in the Configuration > Alert settings by clicking onto the database level it will only show you the alerts you can customize at that level and these are the only alerts that will show up when you drill down to that level:

The Azure SQL Databases are different in this regard.

I hope that helps!

Kind regards,
    Alex
    Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?
  • slimshakyslimshaky Posts: 13 Bronze 1
    Thanks for the explanation. If I want to get a list of long running queries specific to a database, is that something that I can query against on the back end?
  • Alex BAlex B Posts: 1,131 Diamond 4
    Hi @slimshaky,

We do not support the direct querying of the data repository but there are some queries around that may help. 

This one https://redgatesupport.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360009784854 goes over how to see the compressed query text column, and the sample query looks like it associates that with a database so it may work for you.

Kind regards,
    Alex
    Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?