Options

Error when opening SQL Change Automation project in Visual Studio 2017

Visual Studio 2017 Enterprise 15.9.11
Redgage SQL Change Automation Core extension 3.0.19128.7440

Recently when opening solutions in VS 2017 with a change automation project I get the following error.

"Check Out
The item xxx.sqlproj.vspscc could not be found in your workspace, or you do not have permission to access it."

Then VS checks out the xxx.sqlproj. However, when I compare it to the previous version there aren't any changes.

Other developers on my team are having the same issue.
Tagged:

Answers

• Options
    Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Hi, thank you for your forum post.

Can you please check the SQL Change Automation-VS log file to see if there is any further information in the log that may explain why the reported problem is occurring?

You will find the log file in this path:
    C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Local\Red Gate\Logs\SQL Change Automation\VS\

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • Options
    dwurthdwurth Posts: 3 Bronze 1
    Eddie,

I don't see any errors in the log. Attached is the log.

The xxx.sqlproj.vspscc file exists in the same directory as the xxx.sqlproj file on my local machine but it was not in TFVC (Team Foundation Version Control). I tried adding the xxx.sqlproj.vspscc file to TFVC and the error goes away. However, when I open the solution the xxx.sqlproj.vspscc and xxx.sqlproj files get checked out but no changes are made to them. This causes an unnecessary checkout and therefore lock on the xxx.sqlproj file preventing other developers from working on the project.
  • Options
    Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Hi, sorry for the delay in replying.

The details of this forum post have been added to Bug Report SCA-2553.

SQL Change Automation does not explicitly check out the project file, it is hidden Visual Studio behaviour. However, there maybe a recent change in our code that has indirectly caused this problem.  

I will update this post, when I have further information to pass-on and  / or when a bug fix version becomes available. 

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • Options
    Sergio RSergio R Posts: 610 Rose Gold 5
    We have made some changes around this area of the code, so can you please let us know if you still have this issue when using the latest version (3.3.19183)?
    Sergio
    Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Please see our Help Center for detailed guides on how to use our tools
  • Options
    dwurthdwurth Posts: 3 Bronze 1
    I am still having the issue after upgrading to 3.3.19183. The xxx.sqlproj.vspscc and xxx.sqlproj files get checked out but no changes are made to them.
  • Options
    So far we have been unable to reproduce this issue, are you still experiencing it?
    Sergio
    Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Please see our Help Center for detailed guides on how to use our tools