Using SQL Dependency Tracker from SSMS—TMI

I would like to know if I am missing a setting somewhere for the SQL Dependency Tracker.

I would like to use Dependency Tracker from inside of SSMS, but at it works now, it's too noisy. I would like to find an object in SSMS, right click on it, and choose "View Dependency Diagram for …" and not get a diagram of my entire database. For me, that's useless. I think the default for the application should be "Add object that the selected objects are used by 1 level" (see image below), but it defaults to All levels and I can't seem to set an application default for this dialog box, only after a project is open and at that point, it's too late—the entire database has already been added.

It's easy to add more layers to a Dependency Diagram, but not so easy to remove items in a smart way—that's why I wanted a simple diagram in the first place, to find out what uses this object directly, not indirectly.

Best Answer

• Alex BAlex B Posts: 1,131 Diamond 4
    Answer ✓
    Hi @JimF,

Righto, so you have you opened SQL Dependency Tracker, populated some objects to it, then clicked Tools > Options > Diagram and selecte the option you want saved as a default and then clicked OK and actually save the project as a specific file somewhere. 

Once you save the project, the file is created/modified.

Kind regards,
    Alex
    Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?

Answers

• Alex BAlex B Posts: 1,131 Diamond 4
    Hi @JimF,

I've just checked this in the latest SQL Dependency Tracker 3 and the settings are saved in the file MyDefaults.xml located at "%AppData%\Red Gate\SQL Dependency Tracker 3" and applies when I use the right click context menu option from SSMS.

Can you update to the latest version and see if it works for you there?

Kind regards,
    Alex
    Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?
  • JimFJimF Posts: 49 Bronze 3
    @Alex B ,

I don't have that folder. I do have "%AppData%\Red Gate\" and under that I have "SQL Data Generator", "SQL Multi Script 1", and "SQL Refactor", but not one for the Dependency Tracker.

Where else would it be hiding?

Thanks,
    Jim