Using Windows task scheduler to start multiple instance of Data maskers

bpnchanbpnchan Posts: 1 New member
edited March 13, 2019 2:46AM in Data Masker for SQL Server
Hi guys,

The Background
I am trying to execute 6 data mask sets in a specific order with some logic. This is because I have 2 SQL plus 1 Oracle databases which have different set of data required to be de-identified. On top of that, there is data needed to be identical across the 3 DBs. 

My Approach
I start with data masking all 3 dbs (with DM SQL and DM Oracle). For the Oracle db, I create staging table from the single source of truth and copy it over to Oracle and sync where it need to be. For the 2 SQL, it is simply done with CrossDB table-to-table rule. So, I need to make sure the data mask sets that masking the 3 dbs is completed before starting the following tasks.

I wrote a PowerShell script to start the first 3 data mask sets as 3 separate PS jobs and wait for them to finish, and check the exit error code to confirm they run successfully or not. If it returns as completed successfully, then start the data sync jobs.

My Problem
When I wrote the script and manually execute them, it works as expected. With Start-process cmdlet, It starts the 2 DM SQL and DM ORACLE instances one by one. It finished and move on to the next and then complete. I was happy with the result and wanted to move it into a Windows task scheduler.

However, the task failed at the first 3 masking tasks. In specific, it failed on one of the 2 DM SQL instances. The following are the key points from what I observed: 

• Powershell starts the 2 DM SQL instance and 1 DM ORACLE instance, but one of the DM SQL instances will terminate after its started with the following 2 error entries in event log:
Application: DataMasker.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.ObjectDisposedException
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.MarshaledInvoke(System.Windows.Forms.Control, System.Delegate, System.Object[], Boolean)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.Invoke(System.Delegate, System.Object[])
   at N2KCommon.N2KfrmBase.DoTheDelay()
   at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context(System.Object)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)
   at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()
Faulting application name: DataMasker.exe, version: 6.2.0.967, time stamp: 0x5c7d22b3
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.14393.2791, time stamp: 0x5c5a43dc
Exception code: 0xe0434352
Fault offset: 0x000db152
Faulting process id: 0x141c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d4d9242c2e978c
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Red Gate\Data Masker for SQL Server 6\DataMasker.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: dcf6229e-3e61-44e3-99c5-bcb6f549a5ee
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 
  • It seems like there can been only one DataMasker.exe (for SQL) operates at a time.
  • Since it is a session within the task scheduler, I can't monitor what happens during the run...
Does anyone come across something similar? 

Best regards,

Brian 

Tagged:

Answers

• Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Hi Brian

I will reply to your question through the support ticket you also submitted to the Redgate Product Support Team.

Many Thanks 
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Hi, Brian
    Great news that the problem is resolved.
    Just in case other users encounter the problem:
    I am using the Headless Data Masker Command Line mode and it seems i am back in the business. So, using Windows task scheduler to call Data masker for SQL requires to use the DataMaskerCmdLine.exe instead of the datamasker.exe.

Many Thanks

Eddie

Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com