Options

New-DatabaseDocumentation

Can this PowerShell Cmdlet be used to create documentation outside of a database artifact? I would rather it not be embedded in a nuget or zip file with the deployment files.

Thanks
Tagged:

Best Answers

• Options
    Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Hi, thank you for your forum post.

The primary purpose of the New-DataDocumentation cmdlet is to be used in conjunction with the New-DatabaseBuildArtifact cmdlet to include the documentation generated in the database build artifact it creates

In theory, I assume you can generate the documentation and use the output of the New-DataDocumentation cmdlet as separate item.  Although, I have never tried this action.

Another alternative would be to use SQL Doc and use its command line interface to generate the required documentation.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • Options
    Hi, thank you for your reply.

There is a Uservoice forum for SCA, it is listed under the products former name of the product 'DLM Automation' available using this link.

I can assure that SCA is not a dead product, it is an important part of the Compliant Database Devops solutions we provide for SQL Server.

I will feedback your comments regarding the road map and changing the Uservoice forum topic for DLM Automation to SQL Change Automation.

Many thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Redgate Software Ltd

Answers

• Options
    MondayMonday Posts: 77 Silver 3
    I am thinking in order to create the documentation and save it to disk a new powershell cmdlet needs to be created,  Export-DataDocumentation? If so is there a user voice some place for SCA I could request this? Not seeing one like your other products have. Also SCA does not have a road map that I can find like other products have, is there a road map? Co-worker was thinking this may be a dead product because it does not have these like your other tools do.

Thanks
  • Options
    MondayMonday Posts: 77 Silver 3
    Perfect, Thanks!
  • Options

I have been informed that a road map for SCA will appear soon, which will provide further reassurance that SCA is not a dead product.

Many thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Redgate Software Ltd
  • Options

There is a Uservoice forum for SCA, it is listed under the products former name of the product 'DLM Automation' available using this link.

I can assure that SCA is not a dead product, it is an important part of the Compliant Database Devops solutions we provide for SQL Server.

I will feedback your comments regarding the road map and changing the Uservoice forum topic for DLM Automation to SQL Change Automation.

Many thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Redgate Software Ltd