SSMS slow performance when browsing database tables and views

PatxiPatxi Posts: 3 New member

HI there,

I'm not sure if the problem is only SQL Prompt or something that our network guys have changed recently but having the SQL toolbelt installed makes thing much slower. SSMS is very slow not only trying to expand the database to see the tables, even when the program is in window mode and I want to move it around on my screen it takes a while until the mouse lets me drag the window. Running SQL Profiler I see that Redgate software is continuously running stuff, there are too many audit logins and logouts even when you think you are doing nothing (like moving SSMS around my screens)

Tagged:

Answers

• Hi @Patxi,

What OS are you using and what version of it SQL Prompt and SSMS are you using?

SQL Prompt will cache the connected databases (based on your settings in Suggestions > Connections) when they are first connected to.  It will intermittently refresh if you have the Labs > Experimental features > Automatically refresh suggestions option enabled as well, though you can turn this off and manually refresh the suggestions too which may help.

If you have installed the entire SQL Toolbelt then the other tools that are installed into SSMS may be adding to the issue.  SQL Source Control will poll for changes to the linked databases and SQL Test and SQL Search are addons that run within SSMS using the shared resources too.  This page is in the SQL Source Control section, but the first item on making SSMS large address aware affects SSMS and therefore the other tools within by making more RAM available to them all.

Please give this a try and let me know if it helps!

Kind regards,
    Alex
    Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?
  • PatxiPatxi Posts: 3 New member
    Thanks for your response Alex, unfortunately I had to uninstall the whole Redgate Toolbelt. I have tried everything and nothing seems to work. I tried a fresh install of SSMS and then one by one the Toolbelt items (well, I was only interested on Source Control and SQL Prompt). All the different options gave me the same result making SSMS terribly slow. I think this may be a bug because I've seem many other people in these forums complaining about the same thing. I have followed all recommendations and nothing worked so I'll say good bye until a new service pack is released
  • Hi @Patxi,

I understand you need to be able to use it and am sorry nothing seems to have worked.  Can you let me know what kind of system you are using: OS, CPU, RAM, network speed if it was connecting to a remote SQL instance,whether it was solely having installed them or whether you had connected databases to SQL Source Control with a large number of objects and whether the instance you connected to had many databases with a large number of objects (related to SQL Prompt).

Kind regards,
    Alex
    Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

• PatxiPatxi Posts: 3 New member

Hi Alex,

I´m using my workstation which is Windows 7 with Intel i5 processor and 8 GB RAM. I´m connecting to an old SQL Server 2008 R2 that is in a different domain (there is a trust between domains). We have an old infrastructure that we have inherited and to be honest with you that was the first thing I blamed when this started to happen, and I still think that there is something else going on in the network or in our dodgy infrastructure, but I also saw that there is a significant difference in speed between having or not having the Redgate tools installed, just things like right click on a table takes like 6 seconds to show the context menu, sometimes scrolling down the objects explorer gets frozen too. 

Thanks again for your help 

• Jessica RJessica R Posts: 1,319 Rose Gold 4
    Hi @Patxi,

Thanks for those details!

If the slowness is mainly in Object Explorer, this is more likely related to SQL Source Control. Can you kindly try disabling object locking as mentioned here: SQL Source Control slows down Object Explorer in SSMS

That's a common cause of this and I don't think was mentioned in the previous documentation page.

I hope that may help!

Jessica Ramos | Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software