Setting up an image destination

I want to set up an SQL Clone image destination. I'm in the wizard '' Source Type > Source > Modifications > Destination". I get the error 'Unable to check the write permissions for directory path '\\Server\Directory\Subdirectory': The user name or password is incorrect.'. Yeah Dead right. I haven't provided a user ID and password. How do I provide it? The user is a local administrator. The network device is a Linux box that requires credentials but I can't find a way of telling your software what that userid and password is. Local windows users are assigned uids and passwords the first time they log into the remote resource. I've done that but no joy.   
Tagged:

Answers

• Hi Phil_Fact0r,

On the Source page you select an agent to run the imaging job, this is in the dropdown under the heading "Choose a SQL Server that can access the backup". When an agent is selected the user running the service is displayed. 

It is this user which needs access to the image location, the below is taken from the SQL Clone requirements page. 

This requires a Windows user account which has:

• Local admin privileges in order to use the Virtual Disk Service
    • Read/write access to network locations where images will be stored
    Kind regards,
    Dan Bainbridge
    Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software
  • I have a assigned a local windows user account to run the service. It looks from what you say, as if SQL Clone will only work if all the resources, SQL Server and network, are within a Windows Domain. Is that correct?
  • Hi Phil_Fact0r,

My knowledge of domains and Linux isn't enough to answer that question 100%.

The windows account running the clone service needs access to write to the Image Location. If the Image will be stored on Linux and there is no method of granting access then yes currently everything would need to be within Windows.
    Kind regards,
    Dan Bainbridge
    Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software