'Import and generate script' weird behavior

After update from ReadyRoll to SQL Change Automation I see very weird behavior of 'Import and generate script' button. So when I press the button, nothing happens (visually) and interface stays responsive - so I can press the same button again or check / uncheck different objects. I've tried to wait for a long time (~2-3 minutes) and still nothing happens.

But then if I press 'Refresh' button suddenly I see new migration script in the solution explorer and see the dialog with 'refresh script'/'delete script' buttons.

Even worse, sometimes after I press 'refresh script' button the object which was changed by migration do not change inside 'Schema-model' folder, and only change when I press 'refresh' button again.

This was never the case with ReadyRoll, we were using 1.16 version.

I've tried to recreate this issue several times and I must say -  this behavior is not very stable. So sometimes migration script is created quickly but then I have to wait for around 1-2 minutes before dialog with 'refresh script'/'delete script' appears.
Tagged:

Answers

• Hi @RomanPekar,

What version of Visual Studio and SQL Change Automation are you on?  Also, what specific version of ReadyRoll 1.16 were you on?

Do the solution only contain a database project, or is there more than one db project or a mix of db and non projects?

If you create a new project using SQL Change Automation do you see the same behavior or is it only for projects updated from ReadyRoll?

Kind regards,
    Alex
    Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?
  • RomanPekarRomanPekar Posts: 19 Bronze 1
    Version 15.5.2 of VS
    3.0.18275.1681 of SQL Change Automation 

The solution only contain one project which is database project

It´s happening on both new and converted projects

• Alex BAlex B Posts: 1,131 Diamond 4
    edited October 10, 2018 7:18PM
    Hi @RomanPekar,

Can you please update to the very latest version released today (version 3.0.18283.1889 - download here) and reproduce the issue?  In this verison there is more logging which will be located at:
    %localappdata%\Red Gate\Logs\SQL Change Automation\

That will hopefully help shed some light on things.  I'll create a ticket for you and email you shortly so you can reply to that message with the log file when you have it.

Kind regards,

Alex

• Hi all,

It seems this issue has been resolved by the steps in this forum post:

https://forum.red-gate.com/discussion/84126/insanely-slow-refresh-functionality#latest

Kind regards,
    Alex

• MondayMonday Posts: 77 Silver 3
    I would have to say that the issue for the  'Import and generate script' button is not fixed with the above post. I am running the latest version and when the button is clicked the end user has no idea that anything is actually happening. It takes about 30 secs but during that time I can click it again and again. From a UI design standpoint the button should be grayed out when clicked and some kind of spinner should be displayed so the user knows something is happening. As a new user I was really thrown off by this behavior. Now I know its just some jank in the tool and I know to just wait, but you really should fix this.
  • MondayMonday Posts: 77 Silver 3
    Is anyone else having this issue? I attached a zipped mp4 of what it looks like when it happens. I just updated in visual studio and it still happens.