Options

Source Control Decryption Error

DeeDubya82DeeDubya82 Posts: 6 New member
edited October 2, 2018 6:27PM in Source Control for Oracle
Hi, 

My team and I are trying to use Redgate SQL Source Control for the initial commit of our SQL Server DB objects to Team Foundation Server online. We are using a git repository. Most objects are not having issues, but a recurring error for triggers, views, functions, and indexes is the following (across some DBs). Any suggestions or insight you can offer is appreciated.

The view/trigger/index/function cannot be decrypted in one or more of the datasources. Its contents cannot be compared and it cannot be synchronized.

I've spoken with the manager of our DBA team, and he recommended I reach out to Redgate directly for a workaround. Here is his response:

It does look permissions based as elevated permissions are required to decrypt db objects by default, and those permissions will not be granted on Production of course.

Are there any config options that have to be set on the source/destination when you run the tool?

Tagged:

Best Answers

• Options
    Pete_RuizPete_Ruiz Posts: 123 Silver 4

Hello Delijah,

Thanks for reaching out and sorry that you're having trouble with SQL Source Control.

At this time we do not currently offer support for the TFS version of GIT (please see documentation). I'm afraid that we don't have any plans to support this. There is a significant known issue that authentication between TFS Git and SQL Source Control does not work, so we can't support this at all.

As the documentation suggests,  "You can use the Git command line or another Git client to perform push/pull operations."

Another workaround is to link to a working folder, then use a third party tool to push and pull to you're remote repository. I know this might be tedious, very sorry for any inconvenience this might have caused.

Please let me know if there are any more questions.

Kind regards,

Pete Ruiz
  • Options
    Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    edited October 4, 2018 8:31AM Answer ✓
    Hi Delijah

I have some further clarification for you.

Redgate has two source control products:
    • SQL Source Control  - which is a plug-in to SSMS and links your Microsoft SQL Server databases to a source control application, TFS, Git, SVN or Working Folder.
    • Source Control for Oracle - which is a stand-alone application that links your Oracle schemas to a source control application, TFS, Git, SVN or Working Folder.
    If your question was regarding SQL Source Control, you sadly posted in the forum for Source Control for Oracle, hence this update.  However, the reply from my colleague Pete Ruiz is correct, SQL Source Control does not support  the TFS version of GIT.

If your question was regarding Source Control for Oracle, this tool does support the TFS version of Git.  When creating a project, on Step 2 select the Git tab and ensure that the 'Use git repository on TFS server' check-box is checked.

If you are using Source Control for Oracle, please reply with further details of the authentication error you are experiencing.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com