File types

teltestteltest Posts: 12 Bronze 1
edited August 16, 2018 11:04AM in Schema Compare for Oracle
I am using Schema Compare to create a file per object. Each file has the extension .sql
Is there a way to get the table creation files to have .tbl, triggers to have .trg, procedures to use .prc etc?
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Alex BAlex B Posts: 1,131 Diamond 4
    Hi @teltest,

Unfortunately there is not a way to change the extension that the scripts files are created with.  Our create the files in the format they need to be created.

They do section the objects in different folders so you all tables are contained together for example and so you could easily rename them with a PowerShell script, though doing this will cause the files not to be recognized in our tool.

Kind regards,
    Alex
    Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?

Answers

• teltest said:
    I am using Schema Compare to create a file per object. Each file has the extension .sql
    Is there a way to get the table creation files to have .tbl, triggers to have .trg, procedures to use .prc etc?
    I'd be curious to know why you have this requirement.
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • teltestteltest Posts: 12 Bronze 1
    I'd be curious to know why you have this requirement.
    Hi David,
    We use PL/SQL Developer (from allroundautomations) for our development. This uses a different extension per object type. We will be using Schema Compare to generate the code from our Live database.  This will be source controlled. We would then branch from there to a development area.
    I have taken Alex's suggestion and modified my batch file to change the file extensions from fnc, prc, etc to sql before performing the Compare and then changing them back afterwards. It seems to work fine.
    Many thanks for your quick response.
    Terry
  • Are you using Source Control for Oracle? If you use this, you can make changes directly to the database objects in PL/SQL Developer, and check them in to source control without even having to consider the files at all.
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • teltestteltest Posts: 12 Bronze 1
    Are you using Source Control for Oracle? If you use this, you can make changes directly to the database objects in PL/SQL Developer, and check them in to source control without even having to consider the files at all.
    I have looked at Source Control for Oracle. We are currently using TFS more as a backup and not as a release mechanism.  When we start to use Source Control as a release pipeline then this might be of more use.