How do you use cloud databases? Take the survey.
Options

I have a problem to add sql server that is in different server and domain.

EskiEski Posts: 2 New member

Attached is the error message. If you need more information please let me know.

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Options
    Alex BAlex B Posts: 1,133 Diamond 4
    edited March 28, 2019 3:47PM Answer ✓
    Hi @Eski

Going to post the answer here for others in case it helps (I believe you were on the call I was on with your colleague just now).

This turned out to be several things which I'll detail below.

We were looking both in the SQL Monitor UI (using the Test button and also having added the machine and looking at the log of what the error was) along with the wbemtest Windows utility to test WMI.

The first problem shown from the image above is that we're trying to query cluster information.  What we do is query \\machineName\root to see if the MSCluster namespace is present and then run some queries against that if it is.  In this case, the user didn't have permission to query the root namespace and so couldn't continue since it didn't know if it was a cluster or standalone machine we were trying to connect to.

The second issue we ran into after this was that we could connect to root\cimv2 but couldn't query Win32_service as it showed invalid class (that is SELECT * FROM Win32_Service).  We rebuilt that using C:\Windows\System32\Wbem\mofcomp.exe CimWin32.mof (from this page) to rebuild that namespace and then restarted the WMI service.

We then needed the read security permission root\cimv2 which we added.

After that it was again a permissions issue which was related to using a local admin to remotely log in to the machine and having the UAC enabled.  This page goes over why this happens and tells where to put the registry entry to fix it.

After doing these steps everything started monitoring properly.

Hope that helps someone else!

Kind regards,
    Alex
    Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?

Answers