How do you use cloud databases? Take the survey.
Options

Suspend monitoring for a single job

Hi,
I'd like to know whether it's possible to suspend monitoring for a specific job or if it could be added as a new feature.
We have dozens of log shipping jobs and we have one failing. That means the alert job fires an alert every minute. So we end up with hundreds of 'ended' alerts after a day. We could disable the alert for this job but I'm sure we'll forget about it :)
So it would be nice if we could just suspend the "job failing" alert for a specific job for a certain amount of time so that it re-activates automatically when the period ends.
Thanks!
Thierry

Tagged:

Answers

• Options
    Alex BAlex B Posts: 1,133 Diamond 4
    Hi @tvandurme,

You can go to Configuration > Alert settings and drill down to the job level in the panel at the left like this:

When you then click into the Job failing alert here, it will only be for that specific job and you can choose to disable it there.

I hope that helps!

Kind regards,
    Alex
    Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?
  • Options
    tvandurmetvandurme Posts: 11 Bronze 1
    Hi Alex

thanks for the quick reply! However, as I mentioned, I'd like to suspend rather than disable so I can be sure that after the suspension period I specified, the alert is re-activated automatically. I'm sure we'll forget we disabled it...

Kind regards
    Thierry

• Options
    Alex BAlex B Posts: 1,133 Diamond 4
    Hi @tvandurme,

Apologies, I completely misunderstood!

There's not a built in way to do what you are looking to do. You could possibly edit the list of alerts that are excluded during the maintenance period and add that to it, then set up the maintenance period for the time you want the alerts to be suspended.  This would apply to all maintenance windows though and there are a list of other alerts that are excluded during this period which you may or may not want to exclude as well.

This involves editing the MaintenanceWindow-AlertsToExclude KeyName entry in the settings.KeyValuePairs table so the KeyValue is appended by:
    ,"6"You would probably want to take a backup of the data repository before doing this in case something goes wrong just to be sure.  Also, you will likely need to restart the base monitor service.  It may or may not work (I've seen varied results when adding alerts to this list).

Kind regards,
    Alex
    Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?
  • Options
    tvandurmetvandurme Posts: 11 Bronze 1
    No problem Alex!
    Ok, thanks for the detailed answer. I prefer not to touch the repository though. I'll just deal with it as it is :)

Kind regards
    Thierry