Licence with build server

ydebigareydebigare Posts: 3 New member
edited November 13, 2017 4:30PM in SQL Compare
We are trying to setup our build server (VSTS) to use SQL Compare. We have a toolbelt licence, so we should be able to automate things

When using the command prompt as the same user that runs the build, SQL Compare works (both with elevated privileges) :
C:\Program Files (x86)\Red Gate\SQL Compare 13>SQLCompare.exe /Argfile:c:\temp\t
est.xml
SQL Compare Command Line V13.1.1.5299
==============================================================================
Copyright c 1999 - 2017 Redgate Software Ltd

SQL Compare: activated, edition professional, serial number: xxxxx

But when doing it from the build the following is displayed :
SQL Compare Command Line V13.1.1.5299
==============================================================================
Copyright c 1999 - 2017 Redgate Software Ltd

SQL Compare: expired, edition standard
Exiting since no valid license was found

Any idea what is missing?
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Andrew PAndrew P Posts: 194 Silver 3
    edited December 20, 2017 5:34PM Answer ✓
    For build servers - you will need to use the sqlcompare.exe located in the DLM Automation installation location - typically C:\Program Files (x86)\Red Gate\DLM Automation 2\SC.

DLM Automation is meant to be the build side tool (so it does not ask for an email address when you use it and it can be used by automated processes) - and it is included in the Toolbelt installer available here.

DLM Automation also includes a number of PowerShell cmdlets and CI system plugins (including a plugin for VSTS) which you can use to build and release.

Do let me know if you have any issues with that!

Warmly,
    Andrew Pierce
    Technical Sales Engineer
    Redgate Software

Answers

• Likely here the build agent can't see the license. When you say the same user that runs the build, do you mean that you're using the account the agent is set up under? Is the agent on the same machine you're testing under? In other words, what's the architecture of the build? Where does the agent run with which account?

I can do this, but I think I typically have the agent running under my account, with user/pwd for SQL connections. I thought that Compare would install for all users on a computer, but it's possible that it doesn't and it's linked to a single user.
  • ydebigareydebigare Posts: 3 New member
    Thanks for your response!

Everything is done on the build server with the build agent credentials.
    It works with the account that runs the builds from the UI or the command line but not from the build.

I tried with another account that never logged on the server.
    I created a new build agent with this account and tried the build and got the error.
    I then tried SQL Compare from the command line and got the same error that says no valid license was found!
    So, I then entered my credentials in SQL Compare UI.
    And after that it worked from both the command line and the build!

But it still doesn't work with my original build account...
    Since it works from the UI because I logged in with this account, I tried creating a new agent with the same credentials after but got the same error.
    It is sad having a dedicated build account but not be able to use it with Sql Compare :(

• ydebigareydebigare Posts: 3 New member
    Yep, it works perfectly with my build account that way!
    Thanks!!!
  • leanardsleanards Posts: 1 New member
    edited October 17, 2019 5:51AM
     I am also having the same issue with the new version "C:\Program Files (x86)\Red Gate\SQL Compare 14\sqlcompare.exe". Running it gives me the message bellow.

SQL Compare Command Line V14.0.0.12866
    ======================================================================================================================
    Copyright Copyright c Red Gate Software Ltd 2019

SQL Compare: activated, edition standard, serial number: 396-xxx-xxxxx-xxxx
    Exiting since no valid license was found

Does this mean we have to purchase a license for SQL Compare command line?