How do you use cloud databases? Take the survey.
Options

SQL Monitor Monitoring stopped invalide credentials

MarkusMarkus Posts: 26 Bronze 2
edited October 20, 2017 12:59PM in Redgate Monitor
We restarted 4 of our monitored sql servers last night and the SQL Monitor cannot connect them now. Nothing has changed except I upgraded SQL Monitor 2 weeks ago to 7.1.5.8837 The account is the same account that is monitoring the ones that are running and it was running just fine before the server restarts. What could be the issue? The monitored servers that were NOT restarted are fine. The monitored servers that were restarted the monitor cannot connect to and get the below error. I verified that the domain account that does the monitoring is an Admin on the servers.

20 Oct 2017 06:50 WMI GetInstances: Root select Name from __NameSpace where Name = 'MSCluster' Incorrect credentials or insufficient permissions UnauthorizedAccessException Access is denied. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070005 (E_ACCESSDENIED))
20 Oct 2017 06:49 WMI GetInstances: root\cimv2 select Name,State,StartMode from Win32_Service Incorrect credentials or insufficient permissions UnauthorizedAccessException Access is denied. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070005 (E_ACCESSDENIED))

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Options
    Alex BAlex B Posts: 1,136 Diamond 4
    Hi @Markus

A quick first thing to check would be to restart SQL Monitor Base Monitor service to ensure that doesn't help.

If youa re still getting the issue aftewards - are you able to successfully run the Testing WMI tests from this page from the machine where the SQL Monitor Base Monitor is installed to the remote machine experiencing the issue as the user being used by SQL Monitor? This will be the user specified on the Configuration > Monitored servers page or the user running the SQL Monitor Base Monitor service if the Base Monitor user is specified there.

Please try to connect to root and root\cimv2 in the wbemtest as shown in the two errors and perform the queries shown as well - does this succeed?

Kind regards,
    Alex
    Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?

Answers

• Options
    Thanks for the reply. Restarting the SQL Monitor base monitor did the trick. I don't know why I didn't think about trying that.
  • Options
    I upgraded to version 7.1.8.9306 and over the weekend a SQL Server that was monitored was restarted and we got the same issue. I restarted the base monitor and the monitored server went green. Could this be some bug that it cannot connect to a monitored server after it restarts?