HUH? We couldn’t log you in because cookies aren’t enabled

Didn't know where to put this since there is no "Installer" or "Licensing" categories.

This is really annoying... and disappointing! Sorry for the rant, and I understand the desire to protect your products with licensing, but this one really takes the cake. I may be missing something obvious, but if I am, it's not obvious enough. And the easier a solution is, the easier it should be to provide guidance at the time of the error, correct?

Fresh install, MS Azure VM Template, Windows 2016 Data Center + SQL 2017 with IE and chrome, cookies enabled on both. Fresh install of toolbelt using chocolatey.

I launch SSMS and get a logon challenge, upon entering my creds, I get:

"We couldn’t log you in because cookies aren’t enabled. To log in, make sure cookies are enabled in your browser."

And no option to just continue with trial mode. Just drops dead...

So what now, and why am I having to even write this!? ARGH!

1) WHAT browser? I assume IE (what a joke), but cookies are enabled in both.
2) Why no option to just continue with trial?
3) Why no MEANINGFUL message for troubleshooting?
4) Why is this message not CLEARLY dealt with somewhere in red-gate.com? (you created the message, create the support doc!)
5) Why have you allowed licensing to become a BLOCKER for users WITH LICENSES! Is there not a programmer's "Hippocratic oath" when it comes to preventing paying users from using what they've payed for?
Tagged:

Comments

• dwainewdwainew Posts: 59 Bronze 4
    The quick fix is, don't launch SSMS (or other extension consumers?) first after newing up a system. Launch one of the RG apps, which will give you the same dialog, but it allows you to authenticate. Then the SSMS plugin works fine. ;)

Could someone explain the efficacy of requiring a login to even run the tooling? What if I'm installing in an isolated (from web) dev/test environment? (which we have plenty of, but I've never had to try, yet)
  • Hi Dwaine,

I have logged a ticket for you and we will reply in due course.

Thanks

Richard Lynch.
    Customer Support
    Redgate Software
  • DBSageDBSage Posts: 1 New member
    Any word on this or a way around this? I have the same issue and I'm trying to test the product during the trial period.
  • RBARBA Posts: 152 Silver 3
    edited September 29, 2017 8:50AM
    Hi Dwaine,

You are right in thinking that it's IE - the licensing dialog is an embedded browser. Script errors can occur when IE security settings prevent the dialog from connecting out.

If acceptable please try turning off IE enhanced security and try again.

Alternatively, start SSMS and then visit http://127.0.0.1:22221/redgate/status from the machine in question to view what the licensing dialog would show but in a browser of your choice.

I hope this solves the issue,

Robin Anderson

n.b. the port number for that status page may differ in edge cases - actual URL is in the log file
    C:\ProgramData\Red Gate\Shared Client\Log

Robin Anderson
    Development
    Red-Gate Software