Unable to restore a non-local copy - see link

KEECITKEECIT Posts: 5 New member
https://documentation.red-gate.com/display/SBU7/Backing+up+and+restoring+on+a+network+share

This document states the exact issue I'm having:
If the backup file you want to restore is incorrectly labelled "Missing", this is because the startup account for the SQL Backup Agent service does not have the correct permissions for the folder or network location it is stored in. To resolve this, grant the SQL Backup Agent service startup account read/write access to the folder or network location.

I know what account the SQL Backup Agent uses, and it should have full rights to the other server / share. I've explicitly set permissions and still nothing.

I'm not sure where to go from here.
Tagged:

Answers

• Can you validate that the account actually does have the rights by logging in as that account and then navigating to the correct share?
  • KEECITKEECIT Posts: 5 New member
    I created a full admin account as a test for this. This has all the right of any admin on our domain just for testing purposes to get it working.
  • If the account has access to the files and the account is the one used by SQL Backup, then I'm at a loss. When everything is lined up correctly, this works fine. I'll see if we can get one of the developers to take a look.
    Great thanks. I was wondering that as well, I can see the share fine access it as normal. But when I try to singly restore it, it gives me the unknown error. Or when I try to schedule it it fails.
  • Alex BAlex B Posts: 1,131 Diamond 4
    Hi Keecit,

If you run the following query against the SQL instance you are trying to restore to what result does it give you?
    EXECUTE master..sqbutility 999, 'RWE', '<network location>'

Where you replace <network location> with the UNC path to the network share (e.g. \\serverName\sharedFolder).

Kind regards,
    Alex
    Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?
    result
    <SQBUTILITYRESULT>:1:

Alex B wrote: »
    Hi Keecit,

If you run the following query against the SQL instance you are trying to restore to what result does it give you?
    EXECUTE master..sqbutility 999, 'RWE', '<network location>'

Where you replace <network location> with the UNC path to the network share (e.g. \\serverName\sharedFolder).

Kind regards,
    Alex

Any update here..?
  • Alex BAlex B Posts: 1,131 Diamond 4
    Hi @KEECIT ,

Apologies for the delay!

The result of 1 there confirms that the Agent user does have the appropriate permissions. The next thing to check is the registry on the server where this instance is located for the key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Red Gate\SQL Backup\BackupSettingsGlobal\(local) or <instance name>

Look for the value BrowsingUserList (or create it if it doesn't exist) and add the user you are running the GUI as in the form domain\username

Also, what version of SQL Backup are you using?

Kind regards,
    Alex
    Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?