Options

SSMS 2016 unresponsive, then broke SSMS 17

I know that SQL Code Guard is not yet supported on SSMS 17, but are there any known issues about running the 2 products together?

I had installed SQL Code Guard and was using it on SSMS 2016 (build 13.0.16106.4) - then SSMS became unresponsive and I had to kill the process from task manager. The next time I then ran SSMS 17, I was presented with an error
titled 'Visual Studio 2015 shell isolated' and the message 'Cannot find one or more components. Please reinstall the application'.

Tried repair/reinstalling SSMS 17, but no luck - had to repair Microsoft Visual Studio 2015 Shell (Isolated) from 'Programs and Features' and everything back to normal.

In the attempt to get things fixed, I uninstalled SQL Code Guard, and I'm a little wary about re-installing again just yet.

Any log files that might be useful to you?
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    David AtkinsonDavid Atkinson Posts: 1,439 Rose Gold 2
    edited July 4, 2017 3:57PM
    Many thanks for reporting this. If SQL Code Guard is indeed at fault, this would be the first report of this issue. I have both installed on my machine and haven't had any problems yet. SQL Code Guard saves its log file at C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\SqlCodeGuard30\exceptions - if you could email the recent log (if there is one) to SQLCodeGuard@red-gate.com we'll take a look.
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • Options
    kevrileykevriley Posts: 129 Gold 1
    David - log files sent.

I'm not sure it was entirely related, but you never know...

I'll reinstall SQL Code Guard and see what happens.