Options

RedGate VS extension update removed Visual Studio devenv.exe?

kakins-tamuskakins-tamus Posts: 10 New member
edited May 15, 2017 2:38PM in SQL Prompt
I had VS2017 open, clicked on the updates for ReadyRoll & SQL Prompt. I was then asked to close all VS instances. The update progress bars seemed to go fine, but then I got an error saying all extensions failed to update with an error log attached. I now cannot find my VS2017 executable! The VS2017 icon suddenly turned to the white Windows generic icon on my task bar after the failed install, and I could no longer run VS because it said it couldn't be found. I cannot find it anywhere in Windows Explorer in the usual location.

Also, after closing the failed install dialog I get this error in a dialog: Package Microsoft.VisualStudio.MinShell failed to install.

This is pretty frustrating, don't tell me I'm going to have to reinstall Visual Studio because redgate extensions failed to update.

I tried applying the updates via the VS2017 installer, which apparently seemed to install the RedGate products succesfully, as well as applying a general Visual Studio update to 15.2. However now when I try to open Visual Studio, I get another dialog saying "Unknown error", and VS does not start.
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    Anu DAnu D Posts: 876 Silver 3
    Hi there,

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you.

We are still looking into this and will get back to you shortly!
    Anuradha Deshpande
    Product Support
    Redgate Software Ltd.
    E-mail: support@red-gate.com
  • Options
    DavidRGDavidRG Posts: 60 Bronze 4
    edited May 19, 2017 9:55AM
    Sorry for the delay in getting back to you!

We're not yet sure what's going on, so can you please download and run https://aka.ms/vscollect to collect the full detailed logs, send them to us (support@red-gate.com), and then we'll send them onto Microsoft for them to analyse and see what happened.