Options

SQL Source Control and Visual Studio 2015

Hi,

I currently build SSIS packages in BIDS for use with our 2008R2 database, and am evaluating what dev tools are available if we upgrade to SQL Server 2016.
SSDT is the IDE for SS2016, and it runs within Visual Studio 2015, but I cannot see how I can use SQL Source Control (which I like and want to use) as the VCS, as the only source control options in VS are either Git or TFVC.
Is there any way of developing SSIS packages using SQL Source Control ?

Thanks,
Josh123.
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    SQL Source Control is an SSMS plugin that integrates your SQL Server database schema with an existing version control system (Git, TFS, SVN, or any other VCS via working-folder support). What version control system do you have your existing databases linked to using SQL Source Control? (you can find out by looking at the repository path in the Setup tab in SQL Source Control)
    Development Lead
    Redgate Software
  • Options
    Mike,
    I don't have a version control system in place for the application I develop at present, but another team that also uses our SQL Server platform, does use TFS with Git and SQL Source Control for their database objects.
    The difference between our requirements is that I build SSIS/SSRS packages within the BIDS environment in addition to using SSMS for the database objects, and my current needs are to put in place a version control system that will use TFS/Git and BIDS for now (and then SSDT when we upgrade our version of SQL Server).
    It does look as if I will be forced to use SSDT when we upgrade, in order to work on the SSIS/SSRS packages and that means Visual Studio 2015 - I am not convinced by the model-based 'offline' database approach that SSDT introduces, as we already have a Dev database environment for developing and an extra layer here will mean another deployment(offline->Dev->Live), and so I wanted to see if it was possible for me to use SQL Source Control.
    What are my options (if any) for working with SSIS/SSRS in SSDT and also using SQL Source Control?
    Thanks in advance for your help,
    Josh.
  • Options
    You can certainly use Visual Studio with its built in Git integration for your SSIS/SSRS packages while still using SQL Source Control with Git for your database objects - either in the same repository (with the database scripts folder being a sub-folder of the repository root) or in a separate repository. I have to confess to knowing very little about SSIS/SSRS though - perhaps some other members of the community who use both SQL Source Control and SSIS/SSRS could explain how they've got it configured?
    Development Lead
    Redgate Software