Options

Reseeded IDENTITY

Hi,

I am using SQL Compare 10 for my website with SQL Server 2008 R2. I have been using SQL Compare for a while but I never noticed any problem with reseeded IDENTITY. I have problem where one of a table IDENTITY picked older number that has been assigned to different data. It creates a problem, but I am just wondering why. I do not remember if I deployed a script (most likely) to the database, and I do not keep the script. So, here the problem:

- I have table called LiveGame, it has IDENTITY column LiveGameID
- Every time I delete a row in that table, I copy the row to different table called LiveGameDeleted, so I could see the LiveGameID there
- I knew 9 days ago, the LiveGameID was already 3462 some already moved/deleted to LiveGameDeleted. The highest LiveGameID in LiveGame table is 3443.
- Today, when the system created a new ID, instead of giving number 3463, it created 3444 which gives me some problem in my app.

My question reading this post: https://documentation.red-gate.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=20185801

Does the SQL Compare 10 script doing reseed in any circumstance that causing the problem above?

regards

dejava

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    Thanks for contacting us and I apologize for the late reply,

I think that using the RESEED option in Data Compare may fill in the deleted IDs causing this issue.

If you disable that option - it will not Reseed when inserting/updating/deleting records.

Warm Regards,
    Andrew Pierce
    Technical Sales Engineer
    Redgate Software