Comparing replicated and non-replicated database

akrohnakrohn Posts: 6
edited November 13, 2008 3:15PM in SQL Compare Previous Versions
Hello,

I missed some replication specific options for ignoring when comparing a replicated and non-replicated database. For instance ignoring the identity range constraints and the column "msrepl_tran_version" would be great.

Regards,
Andreas Krohn

Comments

• We're gradually working on improving our replication support - I've added this forum post to the relevant feature request, which should help us move in the right direction on this.
    Software Developer
    Redgate Software
  • Not to jump in late on this, but...

Having the ability to ignore msrepl_tran_version columns and other replication artifacts would be outstanding! Thanks for address this!
    I hook up data.
  • It's definitely not too late. Although we're not addressing replication in the next release of SQL Compare it willl almost certainly be a strong candidate for the following one, unless there are technical hurdles that we fail to overcome.

It would help if we had a better idea of the flavours of replication (transactional, merge or snapshot) that people want support for and precisely what they mean by 'support'.

Kind regards,

David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Red Gate Software
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • In my specific case, I need to compare a database (SQL 2000) that is publishing transactional replication data to a database (SQL 2000 and 2005) that is not subscribing to any replication. Ideally, I would be able to exclude the msrepl_tran_version column, as this does not need to be moved to any databases not acting as replication publishers.

I believe SQL 2005 creates stored procedures that execute updates for replication (instead of adding a field to each table). These are prefaced with "sp_", and end in the table needing to be updated. A method to categorically exclude these stored procedures from a comparison would also be helpful.
    I hook up data.