SQL Compare Connection problem

esumantiesumanti Posts: 14
edited August 5, 2008 4:13AM in SQL Compare Previous Versions
Hi,

I have just installed sql compare on my terminal service and trying to create a database snapshot from a remote SQL server.

I can register and connect to this server using SQL Enterprise manager, I can also ping this server, but it just hung when I tried connecting using sql compare.

I also tried to use ip address in "SERVER" - but was not successful, can you help?

Thanks
Elly

Comments

• Apology for posting this in the wrong forum, I am running v5.3.
  • esumanti wrote:
    Hi,

I have just installed sql compare on my terminal service and trying to create a database snapshot from a remote SQL server.

I can register and connect to this server using SQL Enterprise manager, I can also ping this server, but it just hung when I tried connecting using sql compare.

I also tried to use ip address in "SERVER" - but was not successful, can you help?

Thanks
    Elly
    Hi Elly,

could you prefix the server with tcp: or np:
    This will force using tcp or named pipes.
    Also, are you using windows authentication? Is there a firewall between your machine and SQL Server?

Regards,
    Andras
    András Belokosztolszki, PhD
    Red Gate Software Ltd.
  • Andras,

Thank you for your reply.

I tried both tcp: or np: followed by ip of remote Sql server but it hung.

I then created a window local admin account, tcp: and np: works. Which is really strange, I don't think the window logon (to the terminal server) needed to be admin at all (but maybe you can confirm this).

I was using SQL authentication.

I am not sure about firewall, I have to checked with my security people tomorrow morning.

Can I turn "debug" on connection so I have more concrete evidence?

Rgds,
    Elly
  • HI Andras,

I can confirmed no firewall between my terminal service and remote SQL service, I also noted that when I used local a/c (of terminal service) with admin priv, sqlcompare works fine. I am puzzled now, does it have to be admin on where the tool is installed?

Thanks
    ELly
  • Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Hi

Can you use download a small utility that can be used to identify connectivity issues.

The ulitity can be downloaded from here.

Please reply back with your results.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • Eddie,

I tried this with/out "tcp:" with both hostname and it hung.

However if I logon to terminal service with an account with local admin password connection is fine.

should this connectivity tool dump log/trace file somewhere?

Can you confirm if admin right is prerequisite?

Thanks
    Elly
  • Hi,

I was just wondering whether anyone has chance to update this??

thanks
    Elly
  • Michelle TMichelle T Posts: 566 Gold 1
    You need a certain set of permissions to be able to use SQL Compare, which your non-admin account might not have: http://www.red-gate.com/supportcenter/C ... 000072.htm should cover what you need to know about permissions.
    Software Developer
    Redgate Software
  • Hi,

I am using sa to connect to the database. I am referring to OS user privilege required to run sqlcompare.

Thanks
    Elly
  • Michelle TMichelle T Posts: 566 Gold 1
    You need to be local administrator (or be able to obtain local administrator privileges, e.g. with UAC on Vista) to install SQL Compare, and it's possible that it might misbehave in places if you attempt to run it as a limited user after that, although most of the time it should work.
    Software Developer
    Redgate Software
  • Hi,

SQL compare was installed in the terminal service by my sys admin (who obviously has local admin priv). However my OS ac does not have local admin because that's our site policy.

Can you confirm if I am not localadmin I can't use SQL Compare even though I have "sa" credential for database I am working with?

What is the minimum priv should my OS ac has?

Thanks
    Elly
  • Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    I have searched our Call History in our call logging system.

There was only one call reporting a similar issue to the one you reported, using having problems opening or starting up SQL Compare using a Terminal Services account.

Using a roaming profile maybe the cause of your issue, could you please tell how your user profile is configured?

Or if your user profile has been configured as a roaming profile in the past?

I ask the above questions as the customer resolved their problem by deleting the user profile completely and created a new static profile.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • Hi Eddie,

we have never use roaming profile, always static profile.

Anyway I asked my sysadmin to add me to local admin (temporary) of terminal service just to proof a point, and SQL Compare works fine, but unfortunately this is not allowable.

Can you let me know what minimum priv should I have?

Thanks
    Elly
  • Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi Elly,

I would find this question incredibly difficult to answer because of the sheer volume of rights and priviliges that could hamper SQL Compare. I'd just troubleshoot the individual problem, frankly.

The unanswered question is, at what point does the program appear to stop working? If it has connected, but cannot read the database successfully, there could be a problem accessing the temporary files location. This could be solved by removing a quota or changing Terminal Server's connection settings as they apply to temporary files.