Display the schema

emoreauemoreau Posts: 55 Bronze 2
Hi

Is it possible to display the schema when displaying the list of tables? I have tables that are having the same name in different schema, your tool correctly match them but when I select items, I need to know the schema to select the one I want.

Comments

• Hi

I can see the problem you are having and have subsequently raised an enhancement request internally.

However, I'm unable to give any timescale at the moment as to when it may get done.

Regards
    Chris
    Chris Spencer
    Test Engineer
    Red Gate
  • Hi

I can see the problem you are having and have subsequently raised an enhancement request internally.

However, I'm unable to give any timescale at the moment as to when it may get done.

Regards
    Chris
    Hi Chris,

Any idea when this feature will be released? I have many schemas in my database and some of them have tables with the same name. This feature should be treated as urgent.

Thanks!
    keymoo
  • Hi Keymoo,

Thanks for your comment. An undocumented feature of the Filter field (in the top right hand corner of Tables and Views) is that is filters on the fully qualified object name (you need to specify the square brackets []). So if you want to filter the list with only objects belonging to schema 'myschema', type the following into the filter field:

[myschema]

If you want only objects in myschema beginning with the letter x, type the following:

[myschema].[x

Does this help you work around your problem? Please let me know how you get on.

David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Red Gate Software
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • Thanks David - that does help a lot. However, I'd still prefer to be able to see a column for the schema as you do in SQL Compare (although you still call it owner).

I'd like to submit that as a feature request (and call the column schema, not owner).

keymoo
  • Michelle TMichelle T Posts: 566 Gold 1
    The problem with calling the column 'schema' is that in SQL Server 2000, which we still support, 'schema' is not the correct term. 'owner' is nearly correct for both the 2000 and the 2005/8 way of doing things, rather than entirely correct for one and incorrect for the other.
    Software Developer
    Redgate Software