Options

Feature requests

rreitzrreitz Posts: 8
edited January 21, 2010 2:47PM in SQL Dependency Tracker
It would be nice if I could distinguish the types of dependancies when evaluating connected objects - for example, there are times when I'm only interested in evaluating queries that write to a particular table, and it would be helpful to ignore table read references (SELECT).

It would be great if DT could evaluate dependancies within SSIS packages - I've not seen a tool yet that could do that.

It would be nice in the graphing if I could see more of a workflow layout - if I could pick one object and define it as a central point, and have all related objects flow to/from it, or as a top level point and have all related objects cascade down from it... So, for example, if I have a particular table and I want to see how data flows in and out of it, I would set that as my central point... all queries that write to it appear on the left side, and all queries that read from it appear on the right side; queries that both read and write are clustered beneath. (...and, if I'm ignoring read references in queries, both write and read/write queries are diagrammed on the left side.)

Comments

• Options
    My ulimate vision would be something like this...

I start with a query that writes to a table...
    That table gets replicated to another server...
    A view exists on the replicated table...
    A job step selects data from the view into a different table...
    An SSIS package exports the new table to a text file...

...and Dependancy Tracker is able to follow the original data point through all of these transitions, and diagram it as a data workflow.
  • Options
    Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Thank you for your suggestions.

I have created a new Feature Request report. The Reference number is DT-577.

I cannot guarantee that the request will obtain approval and if approval is given, in what future version of SQL Dependency Tracker the requested features will appear in.

Thank you for taking the time to post your SQL Dependency Tracker suggestions.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com