Cannot start SQL Backup Agent

angelgarangelgar Posts: 11
edited July 15, 2006 5:08AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Getting following Error: Windows could not start the SQL Backup Agent on Local Computer. For more information, review the System Event Log. if this is a non Microsoft service, contact the service vendor, and refer to the service-specific error code 5000. i noticed the when opeing GUI it says "SQL Backup - Expired trial" so i tried to register the license and got the following:

The activiation request was not in the correct fomat. [The root element is missing.]

Any ideas? I have tried uninstalling/reinstall, restart SQL services, restart whole server, deleting any registry entries i could find, installing to different path, all with same result. the following is the text of the error in the event viewer app log:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: SQLBackupAgent
Event Category: None
Event ID: 5000
Date: 7/12/2006
Time: 3:09:45 PM
User: N/A
Computer: PROCURE8
Description:
SQL Backup Agent startup error: error initialising IPC objects. No mapping between account names and security IDs was done

Comments

• peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    What are the service startup accounts for the SQL Backup service and the related SQL Server service?
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • using account named sqladmin. same as other sql services.
    Sent you a private message asking for more details. Did you try the steps in that message?
    Peter Yeoh
    Associate, Yohz Software
  • Yes I have sent you the txt file.

thanks
  • I was able to activate the license, so i thought, by using the productactivation.exe. The GUI is still showing "Expired Trial"
    The error was traced to the naming of the service startup users for both SQL Server and the SQL Backup Agent service. Using .\sqladmin caused SQL Backup to resolve to the local computer user, instead of the domain user.
    Peter Yeoh
    Associate, Yohz Software
  • petey wrote:
    The error was traced to the naming of the service startup users for both SQL Server and the SQL Backup Agent service. Using .\sqladmin caused SQL Backup to resolve to the local computer user, instead of the domain user.

So if my server is running agent under ./myuser should I use the same when I install/upgrade server components or can I use Local System?
    You can use any user that has the SQL Server sysadmin fixed server role, if you want the service application to connect to SQL Server using Windows authentication. You can use any other user if you want the service application to connect using SQL authentication.

It is the naming of the user that SQL Backup had problems with in this case. Using .\myuser causes SQL Backup to try to look for a myuser account on the local machine, when it was intended to be a domain user.
    Peter Yeoh
    Associate, Yohz Software