Failed to backup

daniel_cdaniel_c Posts: 7
edited July 2, 2006 12:30PM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Just downloaded SQL Backup yesterday, installed it.
Everything looked great, SQL Backup could access all database.
So, I set up a schedule task to do full backup at night.

This morning, I checked it, found that SQL Backup failed to do the backup.
So, I tried backing up manually from SQL Backup MMC, and here's an error that I got:

backup_error.jpg

It seems like SQLBackup doesn't recognize our database instance, but if it doesn't, how come I could see all my database from SQL Backup MMC?
:?:
Any ideas?

Comments

• peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    edited June 18, 2006 11:26PM
    One situation where the login may fail is if you are using Windows 2000, and the SQL Server instance name is identical to that of your machine name or cluster's virtual server name.

Is your setup similar to this?
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • petey wrote:
    One situation where the login may fail is if you are using Windows 2000, and the SQL Server instance name is identical to that of your machine name or cluster's virtual server name. This is addressed in

Is your setup similar to this?

Yes. Any solutions for this?
    Pls contact support for a patch to version 4.2 for this. Version 4.5 will contain the fix.
    Peter Yeoh
    Associate, Yohz Software
  • I got the patch for 4.2, but even after I applied it, I still got the same error message. Any more ideas?

My environment:
    Windows 2000 Server
    SQL Server 2000
    Could you pls use the command line interface and post the entire output (if it doesn't backup) e.g.

sqlbackupc -sql "BACKUP DATABASE pubs TO DISK = 'c:\pubs.sqb' WITH INIT"

If using a named instance:

sqlbackupc -sql "BACKUP DATABASE pubs TO DISK = 'c:\pubs.sqb' WITH INIT" -I <instance name>

Thanks.
    Peter Yeoh
    Associate, Yohz Software
  • Yes, and here is the snapshot of the error
    error2.jpg
    What is the name of the SQL Server instance, and the name of the server? Is this SQL Server instance running as a cluster resource? Thanks.
    Peter Yeoh
    Associate, Yohz Software
  • The SQL Server Instance Name: ERESDEV02
    The Server Name: (LOCAL)

Not a cluster resource, it is just one server (Win2K server) with SQL Server 2000 installed in it.
    You mean the host name of the server is actually (LOCAL) ?
    Peter Yeoh
    Associate, Yohz Software
  • I must be sleepy when I typed it.
    I meant:
    The SQL Server Instance Name: (LOCAL)
    The Server Name: ERESDEV02
    The problem was finally traced to a setting in the Client Network Settings, where an alias was created for the local server, on the server itself.
    Peter Yeoh
    Associate, Yohz Software