Log Shipping and Full Backup

pdraighpdraigh Posts: 2
edited June 14, 2006 11:57AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
I just started using SQL Backup Pro. I'm using it to do log shipping to another server and also want to use it for the regular full backups of our databases.

I started log shipping on a smaller, less critical database we have. Are there any issues with doing log shipping and also doing a nightly full backup of the source database? Does the full back up clear any transactions out of the log so that they may never be included in logs that are shipped over to the stand by? I'm a little unclear on how that works.

Thanks,
Pete

Comments

• peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    No, full database backups do not break the chain of transaction log backups. So if you have the following sequence:

1. full backup A
    2. trx log backup X
    3. trx log backup Y
    4. full backup B
    5. trx log backup Z

To perform a restore, you can either

- restore full backup A, followed by trx log backups X, Y and Z
    or
    - restore full backup B, followed by trx log backup Z
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • SQL Server native log shipping only available with Enterprise Edition, wondering if SQL Backup log shipping works with Standard Edition ? Thanks.
    xunren
  • One issue that I have come across is running the Backup and Log Shipping at the same time...

I ended up just having the log shipping run from midnight till 10 PM then the backup begins at 10 PM (takes roughly 1 hour, but I wanted to make sure it has PLENTY of time to be done before log shipping starts back up...

Also, you can do Native Log Shipping in SQL 2000 Standard... And you can do SQL Backup Log Shipping in Standard as well...
  • Thanks, Jeff, so SQL Backup log shipping does not required the Enterprise Edition, is SQL Backup log shipping better in any way than the native log shipping ?
    xunren
  • SQL Backup creates smaller files.
    In my setup, we have the Prod DBs in VA, and the DR site in GA. We are restoring the logs on the other side of a VPN tunnel, so size/bandwith/speed is an issue.

SQL Backup can also allow you to encrypt the files (I'm not using this feature, since the VPN tunnel handles encryption for me) so if your files ever need to be in the open, you can be sure your data is secure.

And, I know it's not really a reason to use one over the other but, as the DBA dealing with it on a daily basis, I like the interface for SQL Backup, where I can easily see at a glance how log shipping is doing across all servers.

The one negative I've come across for SQL Backup have been memory issues. I just installed the new 4.2.511 build, and it seems to be better, but this had been a major sore spot for the last 4-6 months...
  • Jeff, there is no log shipping monitor in the SQL Backup tool , how do you monitor all the log shippings ? And how to remove / stop the log shipping setup by SQL Backup tool ? Thx.
    xunren
  • Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hello,

There isn't a monitor for the log shipping using SQL Backup (yet) like there is in SQL Server. To pause or delete the log shipping jobs, your option at the moment is to use the SQL Server (Enterprise Manager) and go into the SQL Server Agent and pause or delete the SQL Backup Log Shipping job on each server.
  • By "Monitoring" I essenatilly mean one place to go to see all the servers (the SQL Backup front end where I have added all 10 of the servers I have SQL Backup installed).

I can view fairly quickly which servers are not creating their logs, restoring logs, or doing their nightly backups.

As Brain said, to stop/start/pause, oyu have ot go to each server individually and stop the SQL Job....