Options

comparison options between sql7 and sql2000

ziotempa76ziotempa76 Posts: 3
edited May 25, 2006 8:48AM in SQL Compare Previous Versions
hi, I'm testing the trial version of sql compare. I have a problem and I don't know how to manage it. I have a sql7 db which I have to synch with a sql2005 which is the production server. I'm comparing them and it shows a lot of differences. These differences are principally identities fields (columns which are id on sql7 and not on sql2005) and collations. I've been able to disable collations, I've been on the advanced options monitor and checked 'Identity properties' but it gives again differences in identities, what am I doing wrong?
Thanks in advance

Comments

• Options
    Hi there,

Sorry about your problems. Just a few quick questions. Could you please double check that it is not something like a difference in the nullablity of the identity column that is causing the problem?

Is it possible for your to post an example script of the SQL 7 and SQL 2005 tables? This might help us get the bottom of the problem quicker.

Many thanks,

Jonathan
    Jonathan Watts

-Project Manager
    -Red Gate Software Ltd
  • Options
    ok, here they are:
    sql7
    CREATE TABLE [dbo].[CROSS_BENEFIT]
    (
    [IDCROSSBENEFIT] [int] NOT NULL IDENTITY(1, 1),
    [IDBENEFIT] [int] NOT NULL,
    [IDCOUNTRY] [int] NOT NULL,
    [IDTYPEDIMENSIONGROUP] [int] NOT NULL,
    [DATASENSE] [int] NOT NULL,
    [NUMEROSITY] [int] NULL,
    [PERCENTAGE] [real] NULL
    )

sql2005
    CREATE TABLE [dbo].[CROSS_BENEFIT]
    (
    [IDCROSSBENEFIT] [int] NOT NULL,
    [IDBENEFIT] [int] NOT NULL,
    [IDCOUNTRY] [int] NOT NULL,
    [IDTYPEDIMENSIONGROUP] [int] NOT NULL,
    [DATASENSE] [int] NOT NULL,
    [NUMEROSITY] [int] NULL,
    [PERCENTAGE] [real] NULL
    )

These are the tables, SQL Compare highlights IDENTITY(1, 1)
    in the options I checked, beyond the default options,
    'Constraint and index names'
    'Identity seed and increment values'
    'Collations'
    'Indentity properties'

thank you
  • Options
    Hi there,

I have run SQL Compare 5.1 over the tables above. However, I cannot get the tables to report as different.

Whilst SQL Differences panel will still highlight the identity as a difference, it is not considered when determining the status for an object (Different, Identical, Only in db 1 or db 2).

Is this the full syntax for the table or are there constraints, indexes, permissions etc on the table too? As these may be causing other differences that force SQL Compare to say this object is different.

Hope this makes sense.

Jonathan
    Jonathan Watts

-Project Manager
    -Red Gate Software Ltd
This discussion has been closed.