large file unc backup issues after upgrade to 4.1

babybobbabybob Posts: 2
Hi

We updated to version 4.1 last week and since then one of our backups has been failing.

We have one backup that does a full backup on 2 databases, one small and one very large (8-9gb). Both backup to the same unc file share but the large database fails with the errors below. It does create a 1kb .sqb file however?

One other backup fails which is the transaction log backup for the large database above.
Backing up MosaicSystems (transaction log) to:
\\sqlbackup\SQL BackUps\Mosaic\Red Gate\LOG_(local)_MosaicSystems_20060220_130749.sqb

Thread 0 error:
Error 620: Error writing to backup file(s).
Process terminated unexpectedly. Error code: -2139684860

Server: Msg 3013
BACKUP LOG is terminating abnormally.
Server: Msg 3202
Write on 'SQLBACKUP_7C35AFAB-88BB-4741-A81A-6A17002274F9' failed, status = 112. See the SQL Server error log for more
details.

SQL Backup exit code: 790
SQL error code: 3202

=============================
BackupMedium::ReportIoError: write failure on backup device 'SQLBACKUP_7C35AFAB-88BB-4741-A81A-6A17002274F9'. Operating system error 112(error not found).
Internal I/O request 0xABE2DBB0: Op: Write, pBuffer: 0x10540000, Size: 1048576, Position: 16973824, UMS: Internal: 0x80040, InternalHigh: 0xABF545D8, Offset: 0xABF54500, OffsetHigh: 0x1, m_buf: 0x10540000, m_len: 0, m_actualBytes: 1048576, m_errcode: 112, BackupFile: SQLBACKUP_7C35AFAB-88BB-4741-A81A-6A17002274F9
BackupVirtualDeviceFile::RequestDurableMedia: Flush failure on backup device 'SQLBACKUP_7C35AFAB-88BB-4741-A81A-6A17002274F9'. Operating system error 995(error not found).

Any ideas much appreciated

Thanks
Brian Norman
Netizen Ltd

Comments

• For reasons we can't investigate (fully) remotely, some servers fail to write 4MB blocks to network shares.

To get round this issue, I will be sending you a private message with an attachment. This will allow you to instruct SQL Backup to write out data to the network share in smaller chunks.

This option will be available in the next release version of SQL Backup.

Regards,
    Helen Joyce

Red Gate Software
    Helen Joyce
    SQL Backup Project Manager
    Red Gate Software
  • Hi
    I'm helping Brian with the install. When running the setup Brian was sent, it will not let me input the correct SQL Server instance name, it just lets me select local (which we cannot use due to our configuration) and another instance I do not want to install onto.

Can you send me a new setup please.

Thanks

Mark
  • You can run from the command line with the -I parameter:

\SQBServerSetup.exe -I <INSTANCE_NAME>

Or replace the SQBServerSetup.exe in your install directory and upgrade remotely via the GUI by selecting the registered SQL Server Instance in the left hand panel and selecting 'Install/upgrade server components' from right click menu.
    Helen Joyce
    Red Gate Software
  • peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    In the setup, you can also type in the instance name directly instead of selecting one from the list.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • I used the -I parameter to install thanks. However when I run the script I get the error message
    Syntax error: 'MAXDATABLOCK' after ','
  • oops I installed it to the wrong instance - sorry
  • Hi Helen!

Could you send me the instructions of backing up remotely ? I´m having the the error #112 but I have space on disk ...

I´m in trouble with my backups with this error, then as soon as can could you could give me a repply?
    Thanks,

Paulo Ribeiro
    Livraria e Papelaria Saraiva S/A
    Sao Paulo - Brazil
  • I think you need version 4.2 so you can use the MAXDATABLOCK keyword.
    You can upgrade by selecting Start -> All programs -> SQL Backup -> Check for updates.
    Then upgrade any registered servers by selecting in the left hand panel, right click and select 'Install/upgrade server components'.

MAXDATABLOCK specifies the maximum size of data blocks to be used when SQL Backup writes data to network shares. Valid values are integers in multiples of 65536, up to a maximum value of 4194304. For example:

MAXDATABLOCK = 655360

Note that you must not use this argument when you back up to local shares.

If you copy the script for the Extended stored procedure on the last page of the Backup wizard and paste into Query Analyzer, or Management Studio, you can then use this keyword to get around the problems with backing up to network share.

You need to use a value less than 4194304 because some servers fail to write 4MB blocks to network shares.
    Helen Joyce
    Red Gate Software
  • Hi Helen!

I was trying to download the version 4.2 but I got the error code #404, wich says to contact the software vendor.
    Do you know what is happening ?
  • You can download version 4.2 from here ftp://ftp.red-gate.com/SQB4.2.0.511.zip
    Helen Joyce
    Red Gate Software
  • Hi Helen!

I did the download and installed version 4.2, but I´ve some doubts:

1. After the installation, I need to copy the file SQLBackupC.exe manually to the directory of SQLBackup, wright ? I notice that the SQLBackupC.exe was not updated then I started the copy.

2. After the insallation, if you select Help/About SQL Help at the menu of SQL Backup it still shows version 4.1.0.207, but if you take a look at the bottom left of the screen it shows ... " SQL Backup 4.2.0.511 - Standard edition". Do you know what is happening ?

Thks
    Paulo Ribeiro
  • Hi Paulo.

We are experiencing a busy period for downloads at the moment, so I suspect when you tried to use Check for updates to download and upgrade your 4.1 version of SQL Backup, it timed out.
    The version I asked you to install from the ftp site is for the server components only.
    psribeiro wrote:
    2. After the insallation, if you select Help/About SQL Help at the menu of SQL Backup it still shows version 4.1.0.207, but if you take a look at the bottom left of the screen it shows ... " SQL Backup 4.2.0.511 - Standard edition". Do you know what is happening ?
    Paulo Ribeiro

The version number in the About dialog from the Help menu shows the version of the GUI you have installed.
    The version number in the bottom left panel for a selected SQL Server instance shows the version number for the server components. You can have many instances registered and you may chose not upgrade the server components on all of them.

SQLBackupC.exe is the command line version. You can replace the copy if you want, but it doesn't need to be in the install directory, it can be anywhere.

If you want to upgrade the user interface to version 4.2, please try Check for updates again.

Note: you only require the server components to be running 4.2 in order to use the MAXDATABLOCK keyword
    Helen Joyce
    Red Gate Software