Options

Create Snapshot utility

DanAvniDanAvni Posts: 72 Bronze 2
edited May 18, 2006 12:37PM in SQL Compare Previous Versions
one some cases i need to sync a DB on development with a DB on my customers lan. since our networks are not connected the customer needs to create a backup (or i do it remotely) and restore that backup on the dev servers to be able to generate the change script.

since on these cases i don't care about the customers data and i don't need to move it from the customer to the dev server just for structural comparison, i was wondering if there is a utility that will allow me to run it on the customers server and it will create a snapshot of my selected DB that then i will be able to take the snapshot to sql compare and use it.
Dan Avni

Comments

• Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi Dan,

Tha cxommand-line version of SQL Compare (sqlcompare.exe) will do this right out of the box, so to speak. There is a command available called /makesnapshot that will create a file representation of the schema of the database specified in the /db1: argument.
  • Options
    Can i run this tool on the customers site without breaking the license i have?
    Dan Avni
  • Options
    anyone want's to reply to my question?
    Dan Avni
  • Options
    Hi there,

the command line tools are subject to the same licence conditions as the graphical tools. You will be able to create snapshots on your customer's site during the 2 week trial period. After that you will need to get a licence for them to carry on using either SQL Compare ot SQL Compare Command Line.

Thanks,

Tom Harris

Red Gate Software
  • Options
    There are special instructions for getting the command-line version of the tool to run at the customer site without having to burn up another licence activation. You'll find these in the SQL Compare help file.
  • Options
    can you point me to the help topic. i looked in the help file and did not find anything related
    Dan Avni
  • Options
    Hi Dan,

Type 'distributing applications' in the SQL Compare help file's index. That will take you straight to the relevant topic.
This discussion has been closed.