Profiling Fails - Event log Error

rajmrajm Posts: 10
I am trying to profile an asp.net web application. The server is a Windows 2K machine to which I terminal service in to start the profiler.

The server has several app pools, each of which has a different IP assigned. The profiler is setup to run against one of the IP's. DefaultAppPool does exist.

If I try to hit any site - regardless of app pool - I get a 404.

In the event log I get the following two errors:

(1) Unable to get the private bytes memory limit for the W3WP process. The ASP.NET cache will be unable to limit its memory use, which may lead to a process restart. Error: 0x80070003

(2) Failed to CoCreate profiler

Help!!!

Cheers,

Raj

Comments

• I am getting this problem too, trying to profile 32-bit ASP.NET code on my new x64 box, using Visual Studio 2005. Profiling completely fails: I get a 404 error on the localhost URL.

Windows Server 2003
    Standard x64 Edition
    Service Pack 1
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 dual core processor 4200+, 2.2 GHz
    4 GB RAM

Red Gate?
  • Hi there,

the error Failed to CoCreate profiler is very serious. It means that we are unable to initialize profiling for the ASPNET process that you are trying to profile. Could you verify that the profiler works correctly with a simple Windows Forms application? In addition could you enable logging by creating a directory called Logs in the path where ANTS Profiler is installed?

Please note that the current version of ANTS Profiler will not work with the 64 bit version of the .NET Framework.

Many thanks,

Tom Harris

Red Gate Software
  • I get the same error when attemtpting to run memory analysis. The analysis does seem, however, to run okay. But it's not clear whether the "unable to limit its memory use" means ASP.NET is performing properly. Anyone from Red Gate have some info on this?

Unable to get the private bytes memory limit for the W3WP process. The ASP.NET cache will be unable to limit its memory use, which may lead to a process restart. Error: 0x80070003

I'm running Server 2003 with IIS 6. ANTS 2.6.I should also note that I don't _always_ get this error. It seems to happen only sporadically when running the profiler, and I don't see anything obvious that causes the error to occur/not occur.
  • Hi Tom,

The profiler works just fine on other machines. I'm guessing it has something to do with trying to run it via Terminal Services.

Unfortunately I do not have access to the machine directly & if I want to use this product it needs to have the ability to run under TS.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. FWIW, I am evaluating this tool for our department -> if I can't get this to work I will select a different tool.

Thanks,

Raj
  • Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi Raj,

Are you evaluating other profiler products? If so, you may want to uninstall them. They may be leaving behind some entries in the ASPNET user's environment block that cause the wrong (the other vendor's) back-end component to be loaded instead of ours.
  • Hi Brian,

OK, so far I've tried:

1) registering the dll manually
    2) removing all "profiler-ish" tools (I had appSite's BlackBox installed)

Interestingly (1) removed the 404 Error. But I still get the CoCreate error in the event log.

The Ant Profiler log for the UI say:

5/16/2006 12:18:02 PM ProfilingSession.ProcessConnectedHandler unable to hook into process - this can happne when profiling ASP.NET on Windows 2003 server Exception message Access is denied

Given the spelling error, I'm assuming this is a custom message & that the writer had a pretty good idea of what would cause this. The box IS a Win 2003 and the profiler worked fine on my Win2K machine.

Thanks,

Raj
  • Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi Raj,

I've been inspired by an unrelated issue with another product -- earlier in the topic, Terminal Server was mentioned. To save resources, some administrators are implementing mandatory roaming profiles, which are read-only. This would prevent ANTS Profiler from being able to update the ASPNET user's registry so that the profiler's core component is hooked into the application.

If this is the case, the only way to get it to work would be to use non-mandatory roaming profiles.
  • As I posted on April 21, we are having similar problems trying to profile 32-bit .NET code on our brand new 64-bit Win2003 Server boxes.

When I try to profile an ASP.NET application, I get the same error as the previous poster:

"Unable to get the private bytes memory limit for the W3WP process. The ASP.NET cache will be unable to limit its memory use, which may lead to a process restart. Error: 0x80070003"

but NOT the "CoCreate" error he reported.

When I try profiling a .NET desktop app, the profiler successfully starts up the app, but no profiling gets done. The ANTS Profiler window displays the message "Waiting for connection..." at the bottom of the window. The message remains until I click "Stop Profiling."

We have 20 paid licenses sitting idle. A cookbook-style method for making this work would be appreciated: we are software developers but not Windows admins. Thanks.
  • Hi there,

ANTS Profiler should work fine for profiling 32 bit .NET applications executing in WOW mode. The fact that you can't profile desktop applications is very abnormal. Could you try the following for me

1) Uninstall ANTS Profiler
    2) Uninstall any other .net code profilers that you may have tried out
    3) Delete C:\Program Files\Red Gate\ANTS Profiler
    4) reinstall ANTS Profiler
    5) Run regsvr32 on C:\Program Files\Red Gate\ANTS Profiler\RedGate.Profiler.Core2.dll

then give it another go.

Thanks,

Tom Harris

Red Gate Software
  • Keep forgetting to post the resolution - just in case someone else runs into the same problem... The answer was providing God rights to the profiler service - for whatever reason the local system was not enough.

Many thanks to Brian D. for being so patient. What this forum doesn't show is the gazillion email messages we exchanged...

Cheers,

Raj
  • What does "God rights..." mean??? I am having same issue and I am not sure what permissions do I need to give to the Profiler Service (v5.1)? Anyone please elaborate on the resolution please...
    rajm wrote:
    Keep forgetting to post the resolution - just in case someone else runs into the same problem... The answer was providing God rights to the profiler service - for whatever reason the local system was not enough.

Many thanks to Brian D. for being so patient. What this forum doesn't show is the gazillion email messages we exchanged...

Cheers,

Raj