Options

Eval period expired for toolkit but not for compare.ui.exe

seanwinsteadseanwinstead Posts: 9
Hi,

Last week, I downloaded an evaluation copy of SQLDataCompare. On my development PC, I used the SQL comparison toolkit to create a .NET exe that compares 2 databases. Today I copied the EXE + redgate assemblies to the customer machine because I wanted to see how fast it would run in their production environment. I ran the EXE, saw the license dialog (it required me to Activate or Exit), and remembered that I had not installed the evaluation version on the customer PC.

I installed the eval version and re-ran the test EXE. The license dialog still gave me the options of Activate or Exit. If I run SqlDataCompare.ui.exe on the same server, it says I have 14 days left to evaluate the product.

Did I mess up the licensing scheme by running the EXE before the eval was installed on the server? Is there something I can do so that I can run the test EXE on the customer's server?
Sean Winstead

Comments

• Options
    OK we've had a bit of an investigation to work out what is going on here. For SQL Data Compare in your licenses.licx file you need to have the lines
    RedGate.SQLCompare.Engine.Database, RedGate.SQLCompare.Engine
    RedGate.SQLDataCompare.Engine.ComparisonSession, RedGate.SQLDataCompare.Engine

Then the application should work (with warning screens on the clients machine). They do not have to have the evaluation version of the software installed.

Hope this helps.
    Richard Mitchell
    Project Manager
    Red Gate Software Ltd
  • Options
    Thank you very much for your help. I hope I didn't waste your time. I had not read the topic in the online help about Licenses.licx.

First, I added the licenses.licx to the project on the customer's server. When I compiled it there, the Activate/Exit dialog appeared minus the option to Skip. As expected, the compilation failed with an exception when I chose to Exit.

So I uninstalled SQL Bundle 5 from the customer's server. On my development computer, I added the licenses.licx file to the project, added the necessary text, and it compiled successfully. The EXE ran on the customer's server, displaying a warning dialog.

Thank you!
    Sean Winstead
This discussion has been closed.