C# projects under version control

coesterlecoesterle Posts: 4
We are using TortoiseSVN 1.3.3 for version control of our C# development. Our development has included revsions to our databasse schema. It appears that everytime we use SQL Packager 5 to build a new package that includes the revised database schema, the entire C# project is overwritten. Which files would you suggest that should be under version control?
Charles Oesterle
c.oesterle@ceoimage.com
http://ceoimage.com
Phone 734.353.8873
FAX 734.354.8758

Comments

• Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Good question!

If you don't change the names of the c# project, then all you should really need to worry about are any .resx files. And possibly the .csproj and .sln files (if there are any). Hopefully this is adequate.
  • Each time we regenerate the package, however, new .NET code files are generated. If we've made changes to the form in version 1 (the working copy), such as adding text boxes or prompting for additional information, these files are over-written after we generate the package for version 2. Thus, I've been generating version 2 next to version 1 and moving the .resx files from version 2 into version 1.

(a) Is this the workflow you're suggesting?
    (b) Exactly which .resx files should be under version control, all .resx files (including those for the forms) or only those in the \SQL sub-directory?

Thanks for your help.
    Charles Oesterle
    c.oesterle@ceoimage.com
    Phone 734.353.8873
    FAX 734.354.8758
  • Hi,

You can change the files packager uses to compile the package up - these are availible under the SQL Packager Template directory in C:\program files\red gate\sql bundle 5\SQL Packager Code Templates\ thus altering the main form there and all future C# projects will fit in nicely to your changed architecture.

I suggest you back up those files first before you edit them incase anything goes wrong though.

- James
    --
    James Moore
    Red Gate Software
    James Moore
    Head of DBA Tools
    Red Gate Software Ltd
  • If I modify the templates, does that mean I can only use RedGate on one project or can I copy the template, modify the copies, and then choose among the different templates? This way, you might have an template A, template B, template C, template D, and the unmodified template.
    Charles Oesterle
    c.oesterle@ceoimage.com
    Phone 734.353.8873
    FAX 734.354.8758
    I think that you could do this. When the package is built, it will use whatever is in the SQL Packager Code Templates\c# folder as a project template, then spit out a project based on this template. So I suppose you could deterministically check out different templates before creating the package project so they can look or function differently.
  • Any chance of being able to pick a template in the future? We too have a few different templates here, being able to pick and choose would be ace :)
    Hi Dan,

We can look into it for sure.