Going from read only to read write

slhuillier.omslhuillier.om Posts: 7
edited April 30, 2006 3:34PM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Hello,
I use log shipping between my production server and my standbye server.
Every night the database is restored on the standbye server from a full backup with the following script :
master..sqlbackup '-SQL "RESTORE DATABASE [MAEVA3] FROM DISK = ''M:\SQLBU\CALCIUM\MAEVA3\FULL\FULL*.sqb'' WITH STANDBY = ''M:\SQLBU\LOCAL\MAEVA3\UNDO\UNDO_MAEVA3.DAT'', MOVE ''EVA_Data'' TO ''M:\MAEVA3\MAEVA3.mdf'', MOVE ''EVA_Log'' TO ''L:\MAEVA3\MAEVA3_log.ldf'', PASSWORD = ''xxx'', MOVETO = ''M:\SQLBU\LOCAL\MAEVA3\DONE\FULL\''" -E'

During the daty, every 2 minutes, the log files is shipped to the standbye server which restores the files every 6 minutes (thus avoiding some transfer problem). On the standbye server, the database the log is restored with the following script :

master..sqlbackup '-SQL "RESTORE LOG [MAEVA3] FROM DISK = ''M:\SQLBU\CALCIUM\MAEVA3\TRANLOG\LOG*.sqb'' WITH STANDBY = ''M:\SQLBU\LOCAL\MAEVA3\UNDO\UNDO_MAEVA3.DAT'', PASSWORD = 'xxxx', MOVETO = ''M:\SQLBU\LOCAL\MAEVA3\DONE\TRANLOG\''" -E'

On the standbye server the database is in read only mode. In case of a disaster on the production server, how can i change the mode on the standbye to read/write ?
I use sql server 2000 Enterprise Ed ans sql backup 3.2

Thanks,

S LHUILLIER

Comments

• peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    By read/write, do you mean 'normal' database operation mode? If so, run the following:

RESTORE DATABASE [MAEVA3] WITH RECOVERY

from within Query Analyzer.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8