buffercount

ykchakriykchakri Posts: 4
edited April 14, 2006 10:17AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Backup with SQL Backup is failing with the following error:
BackupVirtualDeviceSet::SetBufferParms: Request large buffers failure on backup device 'SQLBACKUP_BC78F396-A3C8-49DE-B3EE-F8EBE7EB9934'. Operating system error 0x80070008(Not enough storage is available to process this command.).

Apprently, we don't have enough buffers available. I am trying to reduce the buffer count by using the following syntax:
sqlbackupc -E -I srv1 -SQL "backup database db1 to disk = 'I:\db1.bak' with buffercount = 5"

But it is failing with a syntax error. How to use buffercount with sqlbackup ?

Same syntax works fine with native backup.

Comments

• peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    Could you post the entire output from SQL Backup when the backup fails?
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • petey wrote:
    Could you post the entire output from SQL Backup when the backup fails?
    The 'xp_sqlbackup' is not reporting any error. But it is creating a backup file of only 2 KB and leaving 3 entries into Event Viewer as below every time it runs:
    18210 :
    BackupVirtualDeviceFile::RequestDurableMedia: Flush failure on backup device 'SQLBACKUP_84B2F8E9-4D7A-4568-916F-DB18A1361B49'. Operating system error 995(The I/O operation has been aborted because of either a thread exit or an application request.).

3041 :
    BACKUP failed to complete the command sp_executesql;1

18210 :
    BackupVirtualDeviceSet::SetBufferParms: Request large buffers failure on backup device 'SQLBACKUP_84B2F8E9-4D7A-4568-916F-DB18A1361B49'. Operating system error 0x80070008(Not enough storage is available to process this command.).
  • I realized I'm using a wrapper around sqlbackup. Here is the error output when I try backup using 'sqlbackup' XP:
    Thread 0 error:
    Process terminated unexpectedly. Error code: -2139684860

Server: Msg 3013
    BACKUP DATABASE is terminating abnormally.

SQL Backup exit code: 790
    SQL error code: 3013
  • Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    SQL Backup help says 790 is a 'general thread error'. I think this may be related to the access violation topis that you've seen in the forum lately. Can you please write support@red-gate.com for the latest version of xp_sqlbackup.dll that very well may stop the thread error.