Product registration and activation

MartinHMartinH Posts: 82 Bronze 2
edited April 6, 2006 4:28AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Hi:

I have installed SQLBackup Pro and activated the product on one computer. I have then installed, remotely, the server components on 3 other machines.

When I select the 2 remote servers in the left hand side panel of SQL Backup, the lower part of the window displays details about the remote server. Amongst this information is 'SQL Backup 4.1.0.207 - Trial edition (14 days remaining)'.

My question is, do I have to activate the product on all machines? If not, what happens when the trial period expires?

TIA,
MartinH.

Comments

• Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi Martin,

Yes -- if you don't apply the serial number of these servers by right-clicking and choosing 'install licence', then the SQL Backup Agent Service will refuse to run, making it impossible to do backups with it.
  • MartinHMartinH Posts: 82 Bronze 2
    Brian:
    Hi Martin,

Yes -- if you don't apply the serial number of these servers by right-clicking and choosing 'install licence', then the SQL Backup Agent Service will refuse to run, making it impossible to do backups with it.

Okay, understood. I take it there's no limit to the number of activations of remote stations then?

Regards,
    MartinH.
  • peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    You need a separate license for each server that you want to register SQL Backup on. For a server with multiple SQL Server instances installed, you only need to activate the license once, on any one of the instance.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • MartinHMartinH Posts: 82 Bronze 2
    petey:
    petey wrote:
    You need a separate license for each server that you want to register SQL Backup on. For a server with multiple SQL Server instances installed, you only need to activate the license once, on any one of the instance.

Sorry, but I'm now totally confused. From the previous answers to this post it was stated:
    Q) My question is, do I have to activate the product on all machines? If not, what happens when the trial period expires?
    A) Yes -- if you don't apply the serial number of these servers by right-clicking and choosing 'install licence', then the SQL Backup Agent Service will refuse to run, making it impossible to do backups with it.

I'm not sure how to reconsile that with this statement:
    'You need a separate license for each server that you want to register SQL Backup on. For a server with multiple SQL Server instances installed, you only need to activate the license once, on any one of the instance.'

Let me resume on what I want to do:
    1) I want to install SQLBackup Pro on *one* computer.
    2) I want to backup databases on 3 different machines, one machine is the same machine that the SQLBackup Pro is installed on, the other 2 are remote computers that doesn't have SQLBackup Pro installed.
    3) To backup databases on the remote machines I remotely install the server components.
    4) When I focus one of the SQL Server nodes in the 'SQL Server Group' the computers I have installed the server components on remotely, tell me that the installation is in trial mode.
    5) Therfore I asked the question: 'Do I have to install the license on these machines also' I do this by right clicking the server node and using the 'License activation' option.
    6) Brian, says 'Yes, activate them' so I do (well, only one amchine so far)
    7) Now you have answered 'For a server with multiple SQL Server instances installed, you only need to activate the license once, on any one of the instance.'
    8) I'm now confused :-)

Sorry for being so dumb, but I think I'm not interpreting correctly the answers.

Your help would be greatfully accepted.

Regards,
    MartinH.
  • peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    E.g.

Server A, one SQL Server instance installed -> requires 1 SQL Backup license to be purchased

Server B, 5 SQL Server instances installed -> requires 1 SQL Backup license to be purchased

In total, you need to purchase 2 SQL Backup licenses.

You can install the server components on any server, and they will run for 14 days (the trial period), after which they require a license to work indefinitely.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8