Options

Multiple Activations prompted when using DLLs

dhivya80dhivya80 Posts: 6
edited April 1, 2006 2:50PM in SQL Toolkit Previous Versions
Hi,

I have a user license for SQL toolkit 3.x.

I am trying to reference the following DLLs in my VB.NET project.

1. RedGate.SQLShared.dll
2. RedGate.Licensing.Client.dll
3. RedGate.Licensing.Helper.dll
4. RedGate.SQLCompare.Engine.dll
5. RedGate.SQLDataCompare.Engine.dll

After a few uses the DLLs 1 & 2 throw errors that they are not valid and the methods in those DLLs are obsolete.

I then remove the references and add them again. At this point the Dll prompts me to activate the software again.

Could you please let me know why this happens?

Could you also let me know why the Dll would be invalid or the methods obsolete? These are the same Dlls that are present in the REDGATE SQL bundle.

Thank you,

Regards,
Dhivya

Comments

• Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hello Dhivya,

It isn't necessary to reference the licensing dlls -- they are called automatically when you compile a project that references the RedGate.SQL(Data)Compare.Engine.dll. When you compile your project, the presence of the licences.licx embedded resource (as described in the help file under licensing and distributing components) will invoke Visual Studio's licence compiler (lc.exe), which will call the licensing components and present you with the serial number box. Once the components are licensed, the resulting assembly should run free-standing without asking for a serial number.

For this reason, every time you begin a new project, you will more than likely be asked for the serial number again (which can fill itself in if the product has already been registered on the same computer because it's kept in the registry).

If the RedGate dlls are unlicenced, you cannot access the methods and properties of the assemblies, and the IntelliSense should begin to fail unless you are using the free 14-day trial. This is by design.

Hopefully this helps.