Exception thrown whenever the assembly list is refreshed.

mbowersmbowers Posts: 3
edited August 25, 2015 12:28PM in .NET Reflector Previous Versions
I'm currently using .NET Reflector Desktop v8.3.3.115. Whenever the Object Browser list is refreshed, either by adding/removing an assembly, clicking the Refresh button on the toolbar, or even changing application preferences, a Smart Assembly error report dialog pops up with the following exception:
.NET Reflector has just thrown an exception:
Action being performed on this control is being called from the wrong thread. Marshal the correct thread using Control.Invoke or Control.BeginInvoke to perform this action.

I have reported this error several times using the dialog's Send Error Report button over the last couple months and have also contacted Red Gate support directly. A support ticket (#13026) was opened when for the issue when I spoke to support.
Looking at the ticket now, it appears it has been marked as "Resolved" since Feb. 24th, however I have not seen any updates made available for Reflector that corrects this problem.

Any information on this issue would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Comments

• Jessica RJessica R Posts: 1,319 Rose Gold 4
    Hello,

So sorry for the confusing status! The support ticket #13026 that was originally opened for this was closed (and our ticketing system automatically marks closed tickets as resolved). However, the issue we have logged for this in our bug tracking system (RP-3179) is still open, though we still don't have a set date for a fix, I'm afraid. :/

I'm not a developer myself, but from the stack trace, it does look like Reflector is indeed handling something incorrectly when adding/removing assemblies from the call tree. What's strange though is that this only happens for some users and I haven't been able to find any pattern from the error reports we've gotten. Can you kindly check--does the issue still happen even if all assemblies are removed from the list and you start anew? And just to make sure there isn't anything wrong with the install, can you kindly see if reinstalling has any effect? ftp://ftp.red-gate.com/ReflectorInstaller.zip

Jessica Ramos | Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?

• Sorry for the extremely delayed response.

Since my original post, I've encountered this issue using several different versions of Reflector, and the most recent installation is on a brand new laptop.

I used to wonder if it was something about my system in particular, or some combination of software/settings I had, that was causing this issue. However, I still encounter the error with the latest version of Reflector (at the time of this post 8.5.0.179) installed on a brand new system.

After trying to identify when exactly this happens, I've noted:
    - When initially opening Reflector, there are no issues at all, even when I'm prompted to select a framework version to load.
    - At this point, I can navigate through the assembly list, view classes, etc. and don't appear to encounter any issues.
    - If I open the Options window and modify any settings (not sure which are in the culprit), when clicking OK, if the assembly list has to refresh, the error occurs. From this point on, it happens repeatedly until I reopen Reflector.

Thanks for the response and I hope this is of some help.
    Mike
  • Jessica RJessica R Posts: 1,319 Rose Gold 4
    Apologies for missing your last update and thanks so much for getting back on this! With those details, I've been able to narrow down the issue to enabling the "Flatten name spaces" option and I've passed this information on to our developers. We still don't have a set date for a fix, but I will post any updates here.

Thanks again!

Jessica Ramos | Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?