Change package feed version number standard

sheel.shahsheel.shah Posts: 5
edited August 25, 2014 8:50AM in Deployment Manager
Hello,

I'm new to using RedGate Deployment Manager, and I would like to change the naming convention standard for version numbers of deployment package feeds. Currently the standard is <mm>.<dd>.<HH>.<MM>. The <HH>.<MM> currently follows the 12 hour standard, so a version will have the timestamp 10.15 for a build at 10:15am as well as 10:15pm. How can this be changed to use 24 hour time? Also, we'd like to add the year into the version number. So for example, for a package feed built at 8/14/2014 at 10:15pm EST, the naming convention should be 2014.08.14.22.15 (or something similar). Is this possible?

Thank you,
Sheel Shah

Comments

• I'm afraid that the version number format you're requesting can't be supported by Deployment Manager, because we're constrained by NuGet package versioning requirements.

Version numbers must have between 2 and 4 number parts, separated by '.'
    Optionally, they may have an additional string suffix, separated by a '-'. Note that this suffix must begin with a letter, not a digit.

For example, the following version numbers are all valid:
    • 1.2-test
    • 1.2.3-beta
    • 1.2.3.4-example
    While these are invalid:
    • 1 at least two numeric version parts must be provided
    • 1-foo as above
    • 1.2-0 Optional string suffix cannot start with a number

As for how you change your version number source to use 24 hour time instead of 12 hour time - I'm afraid I don't know; Deployment Manager doesn't generate its own version numbers, so you'll have to configure whatever tool is generating the packages to use the right format.
    Development Lead
    Redgate Software
  • Thanks for the information Mike. That was helpful. Are there any limitations to the version numbers, so long as they conform to the standard you specified? For example, can I do this: 2014.08.01.1300 (8/1/2014 at 1pm)?
  • That would be fine. Each version number segment can be anything from 0 to 2147483647 (i.e. the maximum signed 32 bit value!)
    Development Lead
    Redgate Software
  • Perfect! Thanks Mike!
  • Hi Mike,

One more follow up question about this matter:

Can there be '.' in the version number segment after the '-'?

So for example, can the version number follow a standard of '2014.08.25.0900-Release.P3?

Thanks,
    Sheel