no results?

I am confused. I start the profiler, go through the wizard to start a asp.net app, it starts profiling. after using the app, i click "stop profiling", the web app stop, iis, etc. is restarting but no results show.

verion 2.6.0 b62

Comments

• excuse me for being an idiot. it seems 'stop profiling' just stops and shows nothing by design. i suppose i need to use 'take snapshot'. i tried that a few times before and it seemed to take forever (i gave up each time after 20 mins).
  • Yes I am pretty sure you need to take a snapshot before you stop profiling. This has caught me out today as well.
  • Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi,

Sure enough: Stop simply kills the profiler without returning a result set. In version 1.x, this used to return results, but in 2, it's simply an 'escape door' from the profiling session.
  • I am trying to profile the Mandelbrot.exe example :
    1. Select Slow
    2. Draw Mandelbrot set
    3. Take Snapshot
    The results are:
    "No .net methods have been profiled".

How do I get results?

Thanks

Ivo
  • Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hello Ivo,

I've sure that there is a very complicated reason why it's not working, so it's not going to be an easy answer. Obviously the example tutorials should work out of the box.

Do you get results if you use the 'profile all methods' option? Maybe you have moved the assemblies, PDB files, or source code around.
  • Hi there,

could you check that the profiler is enabled? There is a button in the middle of the main toolbar that controls whether the profiler is enabled or not. If the profiler is enabled and you are still getting 'No .NET methods have been profiled' then try switching to 'All .NET Methods' in the final screen of the 'Project Wizard'

I hope that this gets you up and running.

Tom Harris

Red Gate Software