Options

Reference DLLS

Alex123456Alex123456 Posts: 6
edited August 15, 2014 12:45PM in SmartAssembly
Hello,

I have an issue in that SmartAssembly (6.8.0.121) needs to have every single referenced assembly of an assembly that I'm trying to build, also every single reference assembly of those assemblies. I mean in theory this does make sense, but in practice we have ~120 projects and many 3rd party references. Some projects reference dlls that use dlls that we don't want to copy into the bin folder of our main project. I want either to ignore those dlls or specify a folder where those dlls located (i.e. without having to copy them into the project folder).

I know there is a <DependenciesSearchPaths> in the config to which I have added a folder where our 3rd party dlls are located but this did not make any difference. I create a project and build it from command line for every single dll that is in the bin folder. Am I doing something wrong? Is there maybe a spacial command I can pass to the command line tool to say where the 3rd party dlls are located or just to ignore them?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Jessica RJessica R Posts: 1,319 Rose Gold 4
    Hi Alex,

Thanks for your post!

SmartAssembly should only require references that are directly referenced by the main assembly. For assemblies that aren't and can't be found by SmartAssembly, it should bring up a prompt for each with an option to exclude the DLL from analysis. You could also manually add these exclusions from your saproj file. For each dependency that you wish smartassembly ignore - add a line like the following:

<Assembly AssemblyName="assembly_name, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=xxxx" NotAvailable="1">
    <Merging />
    </Assembly>

But so sorry, I'm a bit confused- do you mean that despite adding the DependenciesSearchPaths to where the 3rd party dlls are located, when you create a new project, SA still prompts you for their locations?

Can I please check--did you add the DependenciesSearchPath manually to your settings file or via the prompt that comes up when you created the project? If the former, could you kindly send across what you added and we can make sure there weren't any syntax issues that may be causing the lookups to fail?

Thanks!

Jessica Ramos | Product Support Engineer | Redgate Software

Have you visited our Help Center?